Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake caliper question.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLzr4x4ngkid, Jun 12, 2001.

1. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, I just put new calipers, pads, and shoes on my truck. The pads are not snug on the caliper. Is there a missing clamp like the inside pad has? The one that goes into the piston to hold it in place? I need to get them fixed ASAP.

"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning." Odd Ball--Kelly's Hereos

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Its supposed to rock around a little. Mine does the same thing and so do a lot of other brake pads on othe vehicles. There is no clip missing.
    Tyler

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I take a large set of chanel lock pliers and bend them down to keep them from moving. It also eliminates squeel.

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

4. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

as triaged said, just give them a bend to get a grip on the caliper. i installed a set once and they squeeled like hell. i couldnt understand it because they were new. then my dad said that squealing either comes from the wear tab, dirt or because they are loose. they were loose.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

5. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>The squeal comes from the pad backing (metal part) vibrating against the caliper. You can bend the tabs to quiet the squeal, or theres a specail grease you can get at parts stores that goes on the back of the pad</font color=blue>

[image]http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads_uploads/53-288682-mudpit3.jpg[/image]

6. BLzr4x4ngkid

Ok, where in my post did I say it was squeling? hahaha The problem is, it just sits in there and rattles around. It's loose. That's what I was curious about.

"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning." Odd Ball--Kelly's Hereos

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Are you talking about the pad that's NOT against the piston? I just replaced pads on my truck recently, and I seem to remember the pads did move around a bit. Not much, though...

<font color=red>Click those banners and help support CK5!!<font color=black>
    [​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

8. BLzr4x4ngkid

You got it! That's what I was wanting to know. Can I please have your name, address, and what kind of Cuban Cigars you would like. Thanks!

LOL

9. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

I thought I answered it already. I guess not. Anyway I smoke Backwoods. :) J/K
    Tyler

10. BLzr4x4ngkid

Sorry Blue! I must have missed your post. I think I wrote my response when I got home from work, at 6am! My bad man! See ya!