Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake Caliper Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by opfor2, Apr 1, 2006.

1. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

I have a 90 Blazer and my front caliper's are sticking and need to be replaced. I was wondering if I could replace the stock calipers with Severe Duty ones from NAPA? Here's the link to what I'd like to replace them with

Right Caliper: http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=UP&PartNumber=4422057SD&Description=Brake+Caliper+w%2f+Pads+%26+Hardware+-+Right+Front+(Severe+Duty)+-+Remfd

Left Caliper: http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=UP&PartNumber=4422056SD&Description=Brake+Caliper+w%2f+Pads+%26+Hardware+-+Left+Front+(Severe+Duty)+-+Remfd

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

SD or not, that price seems a litle extreme. In the past I have paid no more than $17.99 for stock 10 bolt calipers.
    If you want better performance out of your brakes, I would look at good quality pads and rotors.

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

if you figure it up for both loaded calipers, then minus $20 for pads, it come to 17.50 for each caliper. thats a fair price.

im not sure what is so special about them, unless its in the pads them selfs.

4. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

It looked to me that the price was per side

5. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

Yes, the $ 63.49 is for one caliper not both.. I was just wondering if I would get better braking power and reliability from a "Severe Duty" caliper vs. a normal one.

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The factory calipers in my burb work just fine - I'm not quite sure what the "severe duty" add

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

sorry, for the right side it didn't say a price and for the left side it showed 27.50 so i figured it was the same for both. now it doesn't show anything for either caliper.

i wouldn't pay more than $20 for one caliper, the local carquest sells them for $16 each.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

What constitutes "Severe Duty" is what I want to know...

They add more lip seals?(makes no sense to me)

Bigger piston?(I truly truly doubt that).

So what makes it so special? Unless they really change the design of the caliper I don't see any purpose to spending a single cent more on it.

Are you sure they don't mean "Severe Duty" pads are loaded in it?? If thats the case, DO NOT buy them. I'd bet Severe duty is like "lifetime" or "fleet" brakes, they are junk and wear out rotors before the pads wear out(guess which costs more).

Just my thoughts on it