Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake Caliper

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ndestroya, Aug 27, 2005.

1. ndestroya

ndestroya Registered Member

Jun 13, 2005
    i recently bought brand new braide lines and i was going to take out the bleeder valve that has been soaking in PB rust penetrating oil, well yeah i broke the bleeder valve inside the caliper. Is there any simple way to get this out/ fix it without getting a new caliper, or am i screwed?
    Thanks, Josh :doah:
  2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Feb 27, 2000
    I have seen this done ... never done it myself.

Drill out the bleeder screw as best you can, remove it, whatever. Blow/clean all the crap out (scareeeee), and then retap for a larger size screw. I've seen a 'rebuilt' caliper where this was done; they put a helicoil-lookin' thing in, that's threaded for the bleeder inside and a coupla sizes up on the out.

-- A
  3. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

Oct 19, 2003
    ive done it so i could take a caliper in for core... but i wouldnt feel extremely safe without doing a full caliper rebuild to ensure i got all the metal shavings out of the caliper

how much are you looking at for a new caliper? i tend to think its cheap peace of mind to know that the calipers are not going to fail on you.
  4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Jul 24, 2003

They have a "repair" bleeder available for badly boogered bledder screw holes(most that have been attempted to be drilled out fall into the "Badly Boogered" category!,due to the tapered seat getting munched by the drill bit)
    they have a brass adapter that uses pipe threads (1/8-27 NPT) to seal the hole that has its own "seat" for the bleeder...but they cost nearly ten bucks! :eek1: --

At our local Autozone,its 11.99 each exchaged for rebuilt calipers now for my older GM trucks--I dont even TRY to loosen the bleeders anymore!--for that price,it ain't worth trying!--and if you snap off the bleeder,the "core" value is lost!--so you'll have to either "eat" the core charge,or try to fix it good enough for them to use as a rebuilt..

I'd find another good "junk" caliper to trade in for the cire charge,and get 2 rebuilts...cheap insurance!--if you cant stop,I;m sure the resulting damage will cost a lot more than the calipers would.. :crazy: