Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

brake cleaner VS. Carb cleaner

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Apr 3, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

A few months ago I had a guy come out and help me with the john deere ride on lawnmower since it wasn't working. We cleaned the carb, but instead of carb cleaner, he said we could use brake cleaner...which he said works the same way, but is alot cheaper to buy...

I am going to be rebuilding a q-jet in the next few weeks...and I was wondering if I should use carb cleaner, or can I use brake cleaner to clean all the parts? Don't want to wreck anything...so I thought I'd ask...

What one should I use? Or does it matter?

Thanks...

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

from what ive heard, carb cleaner leaves a light film behind when it dries. supposibly to keep parts from sticking till gas gets in there.

and brake cleaner leaves nothing behind.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

not the same...

I found out the hard way carb cleaner will eat or swell up some rubber parts,like wheel cylinder cups and other brake parts--best to use brake cleaner on brakes! :blush:

Brake Cleaner does clean almost as good as carb cleaner-,but it can swell up the leather on accelerator pumps!--and its 3 bucks a can,I can get Wal-Marts carb cleaner for less than a buck a can (Tech2000 brand!)..I use carb cleaner on carbs,brake cleaner on brakes--and I learned not to to spray brake cleaner on your electric drill,sawsall,or circular saw's plastic case--it wll make it shatter into a thousand peices... :frown1:

I think carb cleaner is petroleum based,so like mineral spirits,it does leave a residue--brake cleaner is more like carbon tetracloride,like dry cleaning fluid,that evaporates completely....both will make you high if you inhale too much.. :crazy: :p:

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Alright thanks.
    I will use carb cleaner then...pick some up either tomorrow or tuesday. Any idea how many cans I should get? I'll probably get 2 depending on the size...

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I buy 6 at a time!~

Since I HATE going to Wal-Mart,and buy as little as possible from the china whoring B*&tards--I buy 6 cans at a time,they are usually 88 cents or less VS 1.99 or more at parts stores...I hate the 1/4 mile hike from the parking lot to the auto section at Wal-Mart...by the time I get back home I'm ready for a nap...and if I'm lucky,my truck wasn't backed into by some poor driver,or broken into by some crack addict when I get back to it... :screwy:

I buy so much because I use a lot of it for many other uses--its the best yellow jacket killer by far(and less poisonous to US than bug spray!)--and we get lots of them here--works great on those big hairy wood spiders that seem to love my garage even more than I do too!--I got one the other day that was half the size of my hand! :yikes: :yikes: :eek: :eek1: :angry1: I cant stand those huge spiders!--glad we dont have too many rattlesnakes here,or I'd probably have them crawling up my legs while working under my truck too...! :crazy:

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Alright, dont have any huge bugs like you are talking about, but I will buy a few,,,never know what I will need it for...its good to have though..

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I go through carb cleaner fast so I usually buy 3 at a time at least.

8. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

i normally buy a case of brake or carb cleaner from napa when i get low, my buddy works there so he cuts me a hell a deal, he sells it to me at a bulk price :grin:

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

what else is carb cleaner used for Allan? Or do you just do alot of carb. work?

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I use it for cleaning crap up a lot. Its great for say cleaning off caked on oil on a head or intake. I use it a little too liberally, thats why I go through it. And once in a while I need to do a flame show.... remember kids, when using carb cleaner for a party trick, make sure the fluid is not dripping down the backside of your hand!

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Does it eat paint?
    Thanks for the fire safety tip :grin: How was your arm after?

EDIT

DOH I called you Allan again.
    I meant Alan.sorry!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2005