Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

brake conversion capacity

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by elacruze, Nov 28, 2004.

1. elacruze

elacruze 1/2 ton status

Considering doing the 14 bolt rear disk /Caddy caliper conversion. I have the big one-ton drums; how much braking capacity do the disk conversions have? Will I wish I had more brakes with a heavy load on?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I had the big one ton drums on my Jimmy for a while...way too much braking without some sort of adjustable prop valve. The rears would lock with moderate pressure and the fronts never would (D60 front, new brakes all four corners)

I swapped to the rear disc's with D44 calipers on the rear. Now I get no premature lock-up with moderate pedal pressure, but if I hit em harder all four corners lock-up at the same time. That's on 39.5" TSL's too...

I don't feel like I ever need more braking.

Your pick-up should have a self adjusting and load sensitive prop valve attached between the 14 bolt and the frame with an arm of some sort. The more weight in the bed, the more braking the rear will see. IMO, if you tow or haul heavy junk this is a great feature. You may be able to keep the prop valve back there and adjust it as needed. If the rears are locking up too quickly, shorten the arm. Not locking up early enough then lengthen the arm.

Rene

3. elacruze

elacruze 1/2 ton status

Thanks a ton (NPI)
    This truck has such heavy rear springs that I'll likely never squat it enough to activate that valve. I get a big DUH tattoo for wondering whether the brakes that stop 5500lbs of 1/2 ton and Caddy are enough for my rear...

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Rear disc's is mostly a win-win conversion. Lose a bit of weight, plus it's a bunch easier to service disc's than full floater drum brakes. Stopping power is good with the disc's, and you don't have to worry about filling the brakes up with mud and ruining them.

Only drawback is the e-brake headache.

Rene

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Only drawback is the e-brake headache.

[/ QUOTE ]
    and those of us with 465s shouldnt have much of a problem without it altogether