Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

brake convert probs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Thumper, Sep 2, 2001.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

OK, the discs work great. Except for every once in a while I get this weird groaning/ low pitched rubbing sound from my left rear disc. Its definately coming from the pads, seems like they are rubbing the rotor the wrong way, and the sound disappears right away when I touch the brake. I thought they might be glazed or something, so I wire wheeled them. No change. I thought maybe the sharp corner where they meet the rotor was causing it so I ground the edge off a bit, no change. The rotors are new, as are the pads. My next plan is to trade the new pads with the half worn ones from the front and see if it changes. Would a misalignment of the caliper cause this? Has anyone heard this sound before? How could I fix it? Any ideas?

Thanks

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

It could be the caliper is sticking. Pull the bolts off that the calpier slide on and grease them up, and make sure the caliper moves back and forth freely. More than likely thats what it is. What happens when they stick it lets one pad always touch the rotor and will make noise, but when you hit the brakes it applies more pressure and the noise will go away.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

3. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Try putting some "Disc Brake Quiet" on the pads - rears seem to vibrate a little more than fronts typically, might be the cause of your noise.

1 tequila 2 tequila 3 tequila Floor
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>