Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake drums

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ryan2286, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Ryan2286

Ryan2286 Registered Member

I'm going to do the brakes on the back of my blazer. I realize that its probably a stupid question that I should know, but I just haven't done it before. What do I have to do? I probably should buy one of those hanes manuals but you guys offer better advice tips and applicable information for an offroad truck. To actually take apart the brakes do I have to pull my axles? I've never opened up the pumkin before but it seems fairly easy to pull the c-clips and slide out the axle. Does anyone know of a good websitewith pictures or do you have any of your own. Thanks for your help and its really been appreciated in the past when I had questions on lifting and whatnot.
    -Ryan

2. balazerjake86

balazerjake86 Registered Member

it is really not that hard. I would jsut buy the book at autozone or advance and then follow directions they should have pics. or you can just look at a book that is already open and see how to do it without buying it. i did that once when i was low on cash snd it seemed to work

3. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

No you dont have to pull the axles, once you do one GM brake drum, all the rest are Very similer, like the only difference is the size\weight of the brake drum, and you will even find out that the brake parts on 10 and 12 bolt axles are interchangeable, GM rules with stuff like that, interchangeability that is, but yea a service manual will help out ALOT, if your knowlage is slender, so go get you one /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. Ryan2286

Ryan2286 Registered Member

Thanks for the help I actually ended up pulling out the axles just for fun and the learning experience. It was kind of a pain because I broke the pin that holds the cross shaft and had to get a new one. then when I was reassembling I moved one of the axles and dropped the spider gears out, it took awhile to get them lined up right again. anyway it ends up I din't even have to replace any brake components, I just cleaned them and adjusted them. Now I know why everyone steers clear of these ten bolts when you see how small the ring is compared to a 14 bolt and the fact that just those two little C-clips hold everything from falling apart, yikes. Thanks again