Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake Flaring

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jasonkh2tg, May 1, 2003.

1. jasonkh2tg

jasonkh2tg 1/2 ton status

What the Heck is going wrong I do every thing by the book, but when I go to double flare a brake line the holding lock will not hold the tube and it slips in the locking tool...then it strips the holding threads makeing is worthless for and flare...yes I have reemed the tube and put a chamfer on the out side still no luck...I returned the KD 2190 steel tube flare kit for just over 100 bucks..I even had a Mech that works here in my town use it and he had the same problems...I have always had this problem and tryed all kinds of stuff..still no luck....I can sometimes get a nice flare on the first try then the locking threads are worthless and can no longer hold the tube in the pipe...also I am flaring regular brake line you get a Napa not stainless steal or anything...hmmmmm?????? /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

my flaring tool worx perfect....is yours for metric sized pipe?? i accidently tried that once....it would just slip out. so i got the standard size flare tool and it worked great. i bet u just got a metric one.....

NITRO

3. jasonkh2tg

nope kd tool 2190 for 3/16 to 3/8 inch...4 sizes in all..Ive also used cheaper models with worse luck.. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

4. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Are the Knurled portion [for lack of a better term] full of crud? causing them not to grab on? Or are they, flattened out from gripping on too hard of material?

5. jasonkh2tg

no I usally destroy a new tool after the first flare...so the knurled part is not full of crud...I usally can get one good flare maybe...then the knurled part of the vise are flat and no longer sharpe....and I only tighten with my fingers nothing else...What Brands of Flare tools do you use..? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You have to make sure you tighten the wing nut closest to the size you are using first and then the one on the other side. This will give you more leverage to tighten it down. The only problem I have had with my KD #2199 (the $25 model) is that sometimes the 2 flares are not concentric. My friend has even used it on metric lines on his Toy with good luck.

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Couple of things here.
    Make danged sure that the end of the tubing is square in addition to all that you're already doing.
    Deburr both the inside and the outside.
    If you're using one of those two parallel bars type tubing holders you may have to clamp it in a vise close the the flaring bridge part in order to hold onto the tubing tightly enough to flare it.

8. One_Ton_k5

One_Ton_k5 1/2 ton status

I noticed when doing lines on my blazer that if I went slow with the tool while flaring, it wouldn't slip out.