Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake fluid didnt go back to normal?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyJuneau, Sep 9, 2001.

1. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

Ok I just changed out the front disc brake pads last bnight on my 85 Jimmy. I did as the chiltons manual told me I used a c clamp to retract the cylinder that compresses the pads. After I did that I replaced the pads with new ones. And put everything back together. But this morning After I have pumped the brakes and everything and have driven the truck I open up the hood and it smells like something is brning and it looks like the fluid hasnt gone back to its normal level and is leaking through the top of the cover. What should I do?

1985 GMC JIMMY

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

It sounds like your piston in the caliper isn't sticking out as far because of the extra "meat" on the brake pads. In other words, the piston displaced extra brake fluid. I'd just stick a rag in the resovoir(that duzn't look rite), soak up some fluid, and put the cap back on.

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

3. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Maybe a little fluid squished out from the master cylinder and is burning on the exhaust. As long as the master cylinder didn't get completely dry and you didn't open the system, you won't need to bleed anything. Just fill it up to about a quarter inch from the the top and drive it...check it again in a few days.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

4. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

thats the problem It is completely full is that normal?

1985 GMC JIMMY

5. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

Did you have the lid off when you pushed the brake pistons back in ? you should have, All that extra fluid that was in the caliper has to go somewhere.

A BIG HAMMER CAN FIX ANYTHING.. [​IMG]

6. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

does it stop right? well if it does don't worry, but make sure to keep checking fluid level, after all the extra comes out the lid it should stop, the bigger pads will cause extra fluid.

PS watch out iv started many a fire under my hood, and brake fluid will catch fire on headers, just thought you'd feel safer knowing

Tork DSR
    I just got a winch, it takes the fun out of things.

7. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

jimmyjack sounds right to me...that is about the only thing that makes sense.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad