Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake gurus?? Prop valve question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Thumper, Aug 17, 2001.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

OK, I completed the rear disc swap. Everything fits awesome. Everything looks great. Except: no pressure to the back calipers. I tried to bleed them, but all I could get was a trickle out of them. I was told the proportioning valve needed to be reset by holding in the pin that pops out when the brake pedal is pressed (setting the light etc), then bleeding until it stays in. Didnt work, I held it in, but still no pressure to the back. The brake light is on all the time, and there is no action at all in the rear calipers. Could the valve be busted? Or should I look to the master cylinder? Steve Frisbie did the same swap and told me that nothing had to be modified or changed in the rest of the system besides the calipers etc. I am thinking that maybe the valve is shot, causing it not to be able to be reset... or maybe its good but just not letting enough pressure to the rear... maybe a guy can mod it to allow more pressure? Or eliminate it totally?? Just splice the rear line from the master cylinder to the rear line going back?
    Need some thoughts... any help will help!

Thanks.
    Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

2. wakedog

wakedog 1/2 ton status

I just did a disc swap and there was some switch that flipped in the distro block i think, I need to take it apart and flip the switch back, then it worked, thats about all iknnow though.

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Try letting the rear brake lines open and let them air bleed for a minute or tooo till a good about of fluid gets out... then try bleeding all four in a criss cross format. IME that has usually centered the valve and gotten all the air out.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Mine was the same way when I rebuilt the rear wheel cylinders. I ended up bleading each line connection starting at the prop valve. Also make sure your bleeders are not pluged.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

5. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Where did everyone get their brackets for the conversion? Misfit is out and I need them asap.