Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

brake hard line fix???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ducttape114, Jun 11, 2003.

1. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

long story short: welder, spark/arch hits brake line, pin hole, brake fluid leak. i think that if i cut the line on either side of the hole. get the proper fittings, flare the two cuts i made, and get a new shorter hardline to fill in the gap. i should be fine right?? i know that i cant okie-rig brakes, but this seems like the best way to fix it short of replacing the line all the way back to the MC. would this be safe?? thanks in advance guys.

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

As long as the flare is good it will be safe. Sometimes old line will crack when you double flare it. If it does you will have to replace that line or try flaring it farther away.

3. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

There's always compression fittings.... I don't personally use them on a Brake setup, but I have seen people use regular old wedding bands and a joint compression fitting from Home Depot and fix a Brake line just fine! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Fletch79

Fletch79 Registered Member

If you have the flaring tool already, flaring and coupling is considered a permanent fix.

Brass compression fittings work well, provided you 'dress' the line.
    IE: remove all rust, imperfections, and debris with a wire brush and sandpaper.
    This may last for the lifetime of the vehicle, but it isn't considered a permanent fix.
    It'd be fine for a while if you plan on swapping axles soon.

I carry compression fittings in the 'breakdown box' mounted under the hood; they'll definitely get you home.

You already know what's best.
    Run new lines.
    If it's a pain to do, that's because it really needs it.
    Might as well do all of them, and be done with it.

A WD-40 can, and a few peices of pipe are all I've ever used to bend lines.
    The can is great for the coils coming off the MC, and 4" sections of pipe fit in small areas for bending in place.

If the fittings are rusty and you wreck brake hoses, just be thankful that you're dealing with it in the garage as opposed to on the trail/road.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Follow the line a few feet in each direction and you should find some unions already there. The rigs I've worked on didn't have a single piece of hard line from the M/C all the way to the back of the truck. They had a union somewhere in the vicinity of the t-case crossmember. Just replace the line that's damaged and connect it back into the factory union. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

You dont have to use some kind of tubing bender? also about how much is the lines and ends? I need to make some 14bolt FF hard lines

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The stuff bends easy by hand. Just don't kink it. You can buy different lengths from any auto parts store. The fittings are cheep too but you shouldn't need any (the tube nuts come on the tube).

8. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

As already stated, the line is more than likely 2 pieces from the factory and many parts stores cary lengths of lines with fittings already for dirt cheap.

So... what were you welding? Doubler in?

9. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

borrego, i was boxing in my frame because im gonna move my springs inboard, very similer to a toyotas setup /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. i had a magnet holding the plate in place. i guess it the magnet tried to ground itself thru the brake line. damnit!

10. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The stuff bends easy by hand. Just don't kink it. You can buy different lengths from any auto parts store. The fittings are cheep too but you shouldn't need any (the tube nuts come on the tube).

[/ QUOTE ]

A trick I use: drill the end of a piece of small bar stock and tap it to 3/8 NF. The tube nuts will thread in and this gives you a handle when you need to make a bend right near the end of the tube.
    A good 3/16" tubing bender (not one of those cheesy 3in1's) is only about $50 and very, very worthwhile.