Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake help: Front drivers side locking up **UPDATE**

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by seanp, Sep 8, 2003.

1. seanp

seanp Registered Member

On my 83 Jimmy the front drivers side is locking up when braking. If i'm real easy on the brakes it won't completely lock up but you can feel it locking up and unlocking. When it does this the whole truck shudders. I thought i would try to diagnose the problem, but i took the wheel off and have no idea what to look for. Any ideas?

2. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Re: Brake help: Front drivers side locking up

How do the rotors and pads look .... Any grooves? Plenty of meat? Rivits showing?

Sounds like the caliper might be sticking/locking up. You could just try cleaning the caliper up and greasing the guides, or it might need to be replaced.

Thomas.

3. seanp

seanp Registered Member

The pads and rotors look fine. I took the caliper off, but i don't see any place to grease it.

4. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

There are 2 long shafts with allen heads on the end that hold the caliper in place. As the pad wears, the caliper slides on those.

Were they rusted at all, did everything come apart cleanly? If the pads and rotor look good, you might just want to replace the caliper if you can.

Thomas.

5. seanp

seanp Registered Member

The shafts came out pretty easily. I wonder how much a new caliper costs?

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> New calipers are cheap, I think I got some for like $12 each a couple years ago. </font>

7. seanp

seanp Registered Member

I just got one, $18 from Napa.

8. seanp

seanp Registered Member

I put on new calipers and brake pads on the front. And for 5 days the brakes worked perfect, but now it's starting to do the same thing as before. Somebody said a brake line could be bad causing the caliper to stick. How would i know if it was the hard line or the rubber line that was bad?

9. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

First, puell the front brakes apart on both sides and use this stuff called Sul-Glyde (Napa sells it for likr $4.50) and get a hardware kit for the calipers that will include the slide pins and new rubber o-rings and the slider bushing...INsall the new hardware and lube well with the Syl-Glyde...Then give it a try...what does your fluid look like? There could be lots of crap floating around causing the caliper to NOT release when you let off the pedal. But I would first ensure that the caliper is floating freely as it should and not getting hung up on old orings and rusty guide pins, then maybe have the system FLUSHED if the fluid is questionable. It is usually the rubber lines that deteriorate with time and start contaminating the fluid and preventing pressure release...

Chris

10. seanp

seanp Registered Member

The calipers came with new bushings and seals. i also cleaned up and greased the slider pins before i reinstalled them. I guess i'll have to get new brake lines now.

11. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

if a rubber hose deteriorates from the inside out, it can cause a flap to occur inside the line that the fluid wont release pressure when you let off the brakes...if the hoses are original...why not replace them as preventative maintenance? cheap assurance..

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

While you're at it, do a search and get the super long ones that people have found to fit.

13. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

aight, time for new rubber lines and a brake system flush... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif