Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake help needed.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nemesis_pyros, Sep 17, 2006.

1. nemesis_pyros

nemesis_pyros 1/2 ton status

Ok so i put a 14bff out of a 1 ton and 8 lugged a 10 bolt on my 88 jimmy. Now when I step on the brakes to stop slightly harder than a normal stop my back brakes lock up. Its seems like my fronts aren't doing anything. I've replaced the MC with a known working good one and I've replaced both calipers. I have bled the system and have good fluid at all 4 corners. I've adjusted the drums properly and even tried backing off the adjusters but then i just get no peddle and horrible brakes. Also the pads on the front look like they are in good shape. Does anyone know why i get this problem. I'm thinking this weekend i'm gonna get new pads and rubber lines up front. But i don't think thats gonna help.

Can some one verify the application and maybe even a part number for the longer front brake lines. Its it a 92 chev 2wd 1500 truck?

2. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

You know, I have the exact same situation and am stumped as well. I am wondering if the stock K5 master (JB5) doesn't push enough fluid for the different calipers and drums.... I think the JB6 master will fit the stock K5 booster, but I am not sure that will cure the problem.

3. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

this is just how it works IMO

those 14bff brakes are MASSIVE and have a lot more holding power than the stock or even 3/4ton front brakes. i went with disc in the rear, and a disc/disc combo valve and all is well now.

4. nemesis_pyros

hmmmm these are not enlightening answers.

See the thing is I've never really had good peddle or brakes in this truck. Even before the 3/4 ton swap it did the same thing, just now it seems magnified. I have bled the brakes to the point that i know fluid fromt the MC is coming out of the bleederso it shouldn't be air.

TTT for the day

5. norville

norville 1/2 ton status

A stones throw from Pargon Mountaintop Pa
    does the front end dive hard?? If so could be front shocks, springs or mine needed an alignment to stop the skids. The rear wouls lift and backs would have little contact with ground. I'd was the moron skidding to a stop all the time.

bob

6. nemesis_pyros

no doesn't dive much at all. Has new shocks and new to me but in very good condition 4 inch lift springs. As for alignment the truck drives pretty straight and handles well.

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you need an adjustable proportioning valve as you have too much rear brake pressure.

8. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Back the adjustment off on the rear brakes. Should take care of it.

9. 89K5guy

89K5guy 1/2 ton status

Proportioning valve for sure.

10. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

11. nemesis_pyros

I tried backing off the adjusters, If I do that I just get no peddle. looks like an adjustable prop valve is the solution.

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

a thought...

Are you sure the brake lines at the master cylinder are not "reversed" ??..some master cylinders had the larger resiviour for the front brakes in the REAR portion of the master!..probably a long shot,but when things get swapped on from other trucks,stuff like that happens sometimes..:crazy:

13. nemesis_pyros

Pretty sure the lines aren't reversed. I will however double check it against my dads 84 K10 this weekend.

I'm starting to lean towards the prop valve although I don't think it should need one. To me the peddle always felt spongy not firm like my dads truck. It was this way before the lift and I have bled the brakes many a time.

14. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

shouldn't be able to switch the lines, the fittings are different sizes.

15. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

it sounds like proportion vavle might be stuck you can reset them but I don't know how I had a simular problem after a front wheel bearing failure on my yellow truck way back when it was "stock" the caliper got expanded back by the rotor wobbilingI put the new bearings in and put the truck back together ( I never cracked open any of the brake system and they worked perfectly before this) and only my rear brakes worked we tried all sorts of things to fix it but The prop valve is what fixed it

16. nemesis_pyros

Did you get a new stocker or an aftermarket adjustable? I got under there and checked the little "button" on the prop valve and it seemed all the way in, Even took a BFH and smacked the prop valve a couple times.

17. yellowK20

I bought a new stock one from the stealership

18. nemesis_pyros

How much did you pay for it? I phoned a piston ring here and they want 150 bux :eek1:

19. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Atleast yours grab. My 60's disks up front is the only thing grabbing. Great for burnouts tho.

20. yellowK20

it's been almost 6 years ago I don't remember it wasn't a 150.oo though I can tell you that you can get an after market one for less than that