Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake? HELP QUICK

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevyfumes, Jun 24, 2002.

1. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I was extendidg the piston on the caliper to clean it cause it was sticking and I think it came out too far because the rubber seal started leaking fluid and when I compressed the piston back it looks like the rubber is bulging out a little in one spot... am I screwed or what?

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

honestly i would get scared and replace the caliper. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    am I screwed or what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Actually I have no idea, I don't do brakes..........sorry. Just wanted to make ya smile /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're screwed. I've always heard that if you overextend the piston then you have to get a new caliper. </font color>

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Your only screwed if you're broke. A new caliper is only about $15 /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Dude...just put it back to gether. You are only screwed because you let air in and now have to bleed them. You also could be screwed if you tore any of the seals.

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Thats what I though I don't think I ripped it I'm gonna tear it down right now thanks.....

8. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Worst case is that you tore one of the seals and need to rebuild the thing. It is about as easy as it gets. Sounds like you pinched the seal a little and just need to replace it, about half an hour of work, and help pumping the pedal to bleed them.

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I tore the thing apart and I only pulled the boot loose so I was able to put it back together, Thanks guy's, and after cleaning both calipers the stupid truck still pulls to the right when braking any ideas on this matter..... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. trailblazer87

What color is the fluid in the system? If it is brownish then there is water present and it will do strange things, if it is clear then it sounds like it might be your proportioning valve. Also make sure your wheels bearings are properly tightened and not over done and that the pads are wearing evenly. If not then you may be dragging one a little.

11. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Fluid is light brown , pads are new, wheel bearings should be fine I replaced them about a year ago and this just started a few months ago,and as for them sticking, thats why I over extended the piston in the first place was too clean them. I started out cleaning the right side even though it pulled to the right and it actually helped quite abit but still pulled pretty hard so I did the left side and it is almost gone but still pulling to the right, could it be my rear drums I replaced the drums and shoes about 7 months ago and never cleaned anything the way I should have, but like I said this problem just started, any other help or thoughts are appreciated..... /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

12. trailblazer87

Have someone mash the pedal while you look for leaks on the left side. Is it pulling the steering wheel? If so it is in front, you get the picture. It is a good idea to pack the bearings anually, be sure to get all the old grease out. If it is the back then you could be dragging a shoe, inspect the pads at all corners for spidering (hairline fractures), if any show in one corner then you are over heating that pad and the cracking will show up. I hate brake problems, they are always the hardest to diagnose /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

13. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Thanks.... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

14. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Alignment prob? Any bad treadwear?

15. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

It started before I put the lift on and everything seems to be fine in that respect and it also has new shoes that were rotated when I did my lift... any more issues on fluid color or proprtioning valve from you guy's or anything else for that matter... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

16. COOTER

COOTER Registered Member

How bout proportioning valve?

17. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

i didnt bother reading all the posts, but for all you who dont know the answer, Rob, the boot is just that, a dust boot, but what is leaking is a torn or dislocated O-RING at the back of the piston, just go get a o-ring kit for 1.00 at the parts store. or ill mail ya one! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

18. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

I have the same problem and I found out that my right side ball joints on the axle and tie rod which don't affect me in motion but when I touch the brakes she pulls to the right. I Just rebuilt both callipers for 10 bucks and now it's only a little pull. I would check ball joints on the knuckle just for good measure.