Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

brake help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blowin10bolts, Apr 10, 2005.

1. blowin10bolts

blowin10bolts Registered Member

ok i have an 87 k5 with a 14ff rear and a 10bolt front. the problem i am having is i just put rear discs on with non e-brake calipers and now i have a brake pedal when the truck is off but when i start it there is no pedal. there is no air coming from any bleaders and i just tried a new master cylinder and still the same probs. what can it be :confused:

2. stizkidz

stizkidz 1/2 ton status

I sure hope you figure it out... I just did the same exact thing as you. In fact, I have the same rig practically. I installed my 14bff rear disc setup, bled the hell out of the calipers (non caddy) and I have no pedal. The "brake" light is on too. I am gonna try a new prop valve as my next step.

3. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

You still have air in the system. I had to unbolt the calipers off the brackets, drop them down and hold them on the rotor and bleed them to get all the air out. Its a little messy but it worked. Do you have the calipers on the right sides. More than once I have seen where people will put them on the wrong side and the bleeders will be on the bottom, Stizkid there is a proceedure to reset the proportioner valve after bleeding the brakes so it gets re centered. after your done all four wheels you go back to the rear brakes and do this proceedure, turn the ignition on. Brake light should be on. Open a bleeder screw as a helper applies the brakes hard. Close the bleeder before the helper releases the pedal. Re apply the brakes hard and the light should go out. It may take a couple of tries to get it to go out. if not go to the front and try the same thing. This should re-center the valve. If not you will need a new one