Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Dec 22, 2005.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hey everyone, i just swaped in a Dana 60 rear and Dana 44 front. i kept the same calipers. never disconnected them. And just bolted on the Dana 60 rear and bleed them the best i could. It doesnt seem like i can get anymore air out of it. Today i get in my truck and my brake light is on. So i look around trying to see if my fluids leaking anywhere cuz the rear line broke the other day and the light came on.. but there was no fluid coming out anywhere i could see.. My brake pedal basically hits the floor before it engages and stops. What could be messed up in the drums that causes this? Should i just maybe get them power bleed or what? I dont know much about drums either.. so any tips/help would be great! thanks

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

Time for a gravity bleed!:doah:

3. KTEX

KTEX Registered Member

did you check the master cylinder fluid level?did the pedal go to the floor overnight or from the getgo?

4. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

as soon as i put the rear axle in it went to the floor basically. i mean they would work just fine w/ the power for stopping but just hit the floor,, and now the lights on and they dont work as well so i stopped driving it. whats a gravity bleed? does a shop have to do it?

5. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

gravity bleed = open the bleeders at the wheel cylinder and take the cover off the master cylinder and let fluid just run through. Use a catch pan.

Do you know what shape the wheel cylinders are in? If the seals are leaking no amount of bleeding will help.

6. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You could try adjusting your rear brakes to make the brake pedal firmer. The way I like to adjust my rear brakes is to adjust them up until the brake shoes are tight up against the rear drum, and the drum will not turn. Then I back off each side 10 turns.

7. yosemitesam37891

yosemitesam37891 Newbie

the wheel cylinders may be bigger than stock, maybe the master cylnder needs to be from the same size braking system. you will be able to get the light to reset after the pressure is back to normal by pushing the pedal hard to reset the proportioning valve.

8. KTEX

KTEX Registered Member

I dont know much about swaping to dana 60s,but the brake system is much larger.are you supposed to swap the proportion valve?also,i have seen master cylinders go bad after bleeding a system.the cylinder bore seal will go way farther than it normally does.sometimes crud will cut or warp the inner bore seal.-if the master cylinder is original i would replace it anyway.

9. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

If the lines have been opened, you feel the need ... to bleed! :D

When you bleed them, are you pushing the magic nipple on the proportioning valve in, with magic factry tool #J-12345678 or a folded piece of flat stock?

Could be vacuum booster or master, but bleed first.

-- A

braketool1.jpg

braketool2.jpg