Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake hose extension bracket

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mich89k5, Nov 10, 2000.

1. mich89k5

mich89k5 Registered Member

I bought this L-bracket from a 4X4 shop that relocates where the brake line screws into the brake hose on each side. The shop owner who really seems to know his stuff showed me where he usually mounts them for customers, but now I'm second guessing where I put mine. First of all this bracket is an alternative to buying the longer brake hoses and it only costs me $10. My main question is that I have a 4 inch lift and the two stock rubber bumpstops in front, but I ended up mounting the brake hose bracket under the frame above the spring right next to the middle v-shaped bumpstop. How often does the leafsprings ever hit the bumpstop and when it does how much does it compress the bumpstop and does the spring ever bottom out on the frame? The L bracket hangs down about halfway the length of the v bumpstop. Also, I thought about grinding off the threads of the U bolts flush with the nuts on top.Is this a good idea? Should I get a bigger/longer bumpstop for the front anyway since I added 4 inches? If anyone else has a better idea please let me know.

2. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

on the stock suspension, the front leaf actually hits the bumpstop very often. the spring is flat and there is little clearance. on a lifted truck the clearance is greater but i have dont know how often it will hit. different lift kits have different spring rates, so it will vary from kit to kit.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Yeah on the front the factory springs are negative arch so they bend to the bumpstop. The brackets will probably be OK, because with a 4" lift will probably take a lot of articulation to reach the bumpstop.

90K5

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

BTW i hate those damn brackets. I got some with my lift kit but there were already some on there. The new ones are sitting on the floor of my room and they are already rusting...thats the only part of my lift I don't like.

90K5

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

My kit came with those brackets and I threw them out.
    Braided Stainless Steel is the best way. Improves your brakes too because rubber hoses swell under pressure, leading to vague-feeling brakes. Steel does not.
    -- Mike