Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

brake hose help (getting them off)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mr.smartass, Jun 21, 2005.

1. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

i don't know if they're just seized up because they look like the factory brake lines or if i'm doing something wrong but i've put a wrench on both sides and can't get either one of them to turn, i got frustrated pb'd the hell out of them and i'm going to start on them again in the morning, i'm in the middle of a brake job and would like to get it finished so if anyone can give me any tips to get them off without breaking anything or stripping the hell out of the hex heads that would be nice. by the way it's on an 89 1/2 ton k5, and i hate that little bracket the damn this is screwed into... thanks.

2. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've had some that were extremely frzen as well. I don't know why it happened, but i remember that i had to use some PB and a good size breaker bar to get them off. Good luck!

3. mr.smartass

well i'm kinda scared because when we were doing the brakes on my friends '71 k5 we ended up twisting off the metal brake lines and had to run all new brake lines, totally sucked, i thought about just cutting the hose off so i can get a socket on it and try it that way, but i really don't want to twist anything off..

4. mr.smartass

posting up one more time before i go to sleep for any more suggestions on removing my rubber brake hoses, and do i need to hold the back of it with another wrench while i turn the fitting on the hose?

5. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Use a good flare wrench so it doesn't round off the fitting so easliy. Also giving the wrench a couple raps with a hammer helps break it free easier than just applying a steady force.

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

A flare wrench is absolutely essential. Without it, you will round it off.