Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake Jobs and Wheel Bearings

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jeremy_C, May 26, 2002.

1. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

Just needing somewhat of a ball park figure, I'm needing Brake Pads all the way around, its grinding something awful when you hit the brakes, and i'm probably looking at front rotors too. I THINK i'm gonna need front wheel bearings too, but i'm not sure. What are the symptoms of needing wheel bearings? Seems like i'm hearing a scraping sound in the front of the truck, but that may be related to the brakes. Not sure

Its a 79 Chevy Pickup, 6 lug wheels, 4x4. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

One way to check is to jack up the front of the truck (use jack stands) and grab the tire on the top and bottom and see if you can wobbel it back and forth.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

If you're gonna have the rotors off, you may as well have some bearings on hand just in case they need to be replaced. And take a close look at your wheel studs before you start the job - if you have a couple with worn out threads you may as well replace them as well while the rotor is off.

But to answer yuour question, do what Corey says. Any up and down play in your wheel means either bad ball joints or bad bearings.

4. GMMANIAC

GMMANIAC Registered Member

When you take you rotors off look at the bearings and races real close for burn marks or pitting. Just because a wheel feels loose doesn't always mean the bearings are bad. An easy way to determine if they are bad is to clean the bearings an hubs of the old grease and put the bearing back in the race and turn the bearing back and forth with a little pressure, if it doesn' turn smoothly then you need new ones. Don't put any grease in the bearings when you do this because you won't be able to feel for roughness.

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine took his suburban to Midas and got a quote of $1400 to do a complete break job. He asked for an itemized list. Then we went to AutoZone and paid about $200 for the parts!! That was a worst case scenario tho. Rotors are about $50 apiece, calipers are $15, bearings and races? I dunno about them. I think I paid about 40 for each set(inner and outer). Brakes pads are about $20 for the good ones. If the rotors arent toast they can be turned for a couple of bucks. And ice cold beer always helps when you're looking for someone to lend a hand!

6. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Disc brakes have a little metal flange on the pads that is designed to touch the rotor and make lots of noise when the pads are thin and need replacement. That could be the sound you are hearing up front.