Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

brake light acting up

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jamber2541, Jul 27, 2006.

1. jamber2541

jamber2541 1/2 ton status

Today on my way home from work my brake light came on the wierd thing is that it then started blinking quickly four times and then it pauses and it does it again and again??? anyone else have this problem before.:confused:

2. Disciples Performance

Disciples Performance 1/2 ton status

have u checked the brake fluid level yet i know of some vehicles the sensor in the brake system will flash a light if its running low just to warn you before you have no brakes so just check and top it up if needed and if its not that could be a relay or something grounding off sounds like making that light blink away

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm guessing you've got ABS, and thats an ABS code?

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

That there be a 1990-1991 truck with rear wheel ABS, yes.

There are two or three different makes of brake computers, Kelsey Hayes and ... something else. Post up any markings you see on the computer -- it's the black box by the brake booster.

Also, disconnect the battery(ies), wait fifteen minutes and reconnect them... this will reset the black box. (You could also disconnect it, but it's got multiple plugs and is a pain.) I find that the RWABS is mildly b!tchy and does this sometimes ... it's a pretty lame ABS, as they go, and on my truck that had I ended up just disabling it rather than dink with it.

-- A