Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake light has returned, pedal went soft all the sudden

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TrcksR4ME, Apr 20, 2002.

1. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I just got the brake situation fixed yesterday with a new MC and bleeding of the system. Test drove it last night, worked fine. Drove to work today, then to school...fine. Drive back to work after school, Brake light comes on /forums/images/icons/mad.gif. Leave work and step on brake and the pedal goes to the floor almost /forums/images/icons/mad.gif WTF??? Checked for leaks, checked fluid level, all checked out ok.

My buddy thinks it could be the proportioning valve, I have no idea. Might have some air in the line still, although it had been working ok. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif truck is really working my nerves here, it better start shaping up or its getting kicked to the curb...well probably not, but see if it gets that camo paint it wanted...lol /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

2. A&P

A&P Registered Member

I had that exact problem, and well, still sorta do. I know what the fix on mine is. I just needed a power bleed & flush really badly. Once I did so (I now work at a brake shop so it's free) I got a really good pedal. I drove it all that day, and when I drove the next day, it turns out I blew out an inner piston seal on my Drivers side drum brake wheel cyl. All I need to do now is rebuild the cylinder and I should be good. Just drive it for 2-3 minutes, and crawl under. Look at the inside of the drum, and also in the fronts around the dust plates for brake fluid. It also as we all know has that nice distinctive scent to it. That was my problem, hope it's yours. Easy fix...
    Just my $.02
    -Ben

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

If a cylinder is leaking, I should see some fluid or smell it then? I haven't noticed either so far, and the fluid level hasn't changed. Ehhhh, may have to get it power bled after all, trying to save a buck, and its not working so far.