Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake Light Q

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MICHIGAN BLAZER, May 2, 2000.

1. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

I always thought the parking brake light was for parking brake stuff....but obviously not. My brake light comes on w/hard stopping, actually now it won't go off. It started a couple days ago and i could pump my brakes once as far down as i could go and the light would click off and come back on later after braking. Our cherokee has been doing the same thing for a very long time...but we've always been able to click it off....that and the brakes are pretty screwed up on that truck(what isn't on that thing). Anyway, I had my front brakes done about 1-2 months ago. We were short of cash so my brake guy did cheapy brake work. He replaced passenger side caliper(it was totally cooked), new front pads both sides, and he also fixed a steering arm problem i had. Before i got my brakes done...it was pulling HARD to the passenger side. After the brake job it was fine....now it's starting to pull again....rotors?? Anyway my main concern is Why does the brake light come on?? Is it possible to have air in my lines? I just thought the brake light thing was some stupid cherokee thing....I'm a little upset that my truck is doing it now....so any advice would be cool.

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

2. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

If one side of the brakes, front or rear, gets so low on fluid that the proportioner valve moves it will cause the light to come on. Also depending on how well the brakes were bled could also cause the valve to actuate the light.

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]

3. 1TUFF89

1TUFF89 1/2 ton status

My '89 started pulling to the right everytime I applied the brakes too. I had my rotors turned thinking that was the problem, but the shop called and actually had to install new upper and lower ball joints. Drives great now!! It was about $500 to do both sides upper and lower.

Chevy's RULE!