Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

brake light question

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 67lemanster, Dec 14, 2005.

1. 67lemanster

67lemanster Registered Member

i am having issues with my brake lights. switch is good. i have power coming out of brake light switch. also have power to the white wire(coming outa brake light switch) to turn signal switch. from there i loose power. i should have 12volts coming outa the brown wires from the turn blinker harness, correct?

ok now is the probable answer to replace the blinker switch in the column? thanks

ps hazard relay is new, however the hazards do not blink they just come on and stay on. blinkers work and tail lights/headlights all work. just no brake lights. grrrrr. thanks for the help.

2. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    I'm not sure what your level of experience with auto electric trouble shooting is so I assume it is at the beginner level(I know...NEVER assume:wink1:)

Check and see if the bulbs are good 1st,easiest thing 1st.It's possible one of the 2 elements iin the 1157 bulb is gone.

Did you check the "brake" fuse?

You said the 4 way flasher and turn signal flashers are new right?So you can rule those out.

Next,move onto the wireing.
    Get under the truck and look for chaffed,broken,burnt or cut wires.
    The rear harness runs down the drivers frame rail up the firewall and into the cab to the right of the distributor.
    Check and make sure that the connection at the firewall is tight.

So check those simple things 1st.If they all check out ok let us know and we'll go from there.

3. 67lemanster

thanks for the reply. assuming amature is quite correct. LOL

first off no power to sockets in back. no power to bulkhead. fuses all good.

i do have 12volts outa brake switch(white wire)which goes to the blinker switch in the column. from there i have no 12 volts out.

after looking through my camaro wiring diagram it seems i was wrong brown out of switch is not brake the brown is actually a wire into the blinker switch. . i believe i should have 12 volts outa yellow and dark green coming outa the switch(column) which i dont when the brake light switch "on". shouldnt i have 12 volts coming outa the blinker switch when the brake lights are activated through the switch? from the camaro schematic yellow and dark green are blinker/brake lights(this is for a 72 camaro but i would think all chevys would be the same)

i guess i am trying to confirm my suspitions that the blinker switch is the culpret. has a bad blinker switch(in column) ever been known to cause no brake lights?

thanks again. tommy

4. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

No power to rear sockets?...at all?
    How about when you turn on your lights.
    If no power to the rear lights when the lights are on it's either the light switch or the high beam floor switch.

Did this all start happening all of a sudden?
    Ususally if the turn signal cam in the steering column is bad you would have intermittant problems with the turn signals 1st,which would progressivly get worse.

5. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

It's VERY common for the floor switches to go bad.This will effect your lights and turn siganls.

6. 67lemanster

tail lights work. blinkers in rear work. i do have rear tail lights just no power to sockets when brakes are applied.

head light switch is new. dimmer was bad and also causing interior light to stay on. so thats new also. the highbeam switch on the floor seems to function correctly plus as i recall there are only 3 wires to it and one feeds power to it the other are power out, one to low beams one to high beams. but none the less it functions correctly as far as switching high and low beams.

bob i bought the truck about 2 months ago. i have been skirting the issue after i checked the usual stuff. light bulbs, switch on brake pedal and then the stumper no power to sockets. the wiring is butched up and i have been cleaning out years of wire nuts and other bs. LOL now its off my ass to fix the brake lights. so to sum up whats new

headlight switch
    4 way flasher
    cam for blinkers(one spring was missing)
    brake light switch(pedal)
    fuses good.
    bulbs good(even check with ohm meter, i am a nerd you know, LOL)
    all lights function properly. blinkers work. headlights work(hi and low)taillights work.

flashers stick on they dont blink when the button is pushed in on the column. i have not check the rear to see if they stay on back there. i can see them on in the front, however.

7. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Try jumping the brake switch.
    Take the harness off the brake light switch and jump the wires that connect to the brake light switch(orange and white wires)
    If the brake lights come on then the brake light switch is bad.
    Do this with the park lights on and then off.

I have to go and take my wife to a Dr.'s appointment now so I'll check back in a while.

Later,Bob.

8. 67lemanster

haha great minds. bob its been jumped since i found out about the problem. still dont have on the brake switch itself. LOL. figured if i bumped a wire or replaced this or that then i would immediately know. i have had park lights on and off....no brakes lights. i did get this response on my camaro board.
    huh, i cant cut and paste. grrrrrrrr.

but is said it was a gradual deal caused by a steering wheel swap and wires pinch. i have a later model z 71 wheel on there.

btw how come i cant paste stuff here. :eek1:

9. 67lemanster

Bob disreagared every lie have have told you. after further exam i do have power outa the green and yellow wire that feeds blinkers and brake lights. i thought my blinkers were working because on the dash i had good blinking bulbs but no blinkers in the back of the truck, front is ok(my lemans and my camaro if you dont have front or rear blinkers the inside directional lights on the dash will not blink)

so i humbly appologize for my mis information. at least now i can start to check what you said. should be a no brainer now, right.LOL worst case scenerio i can run new wires to the back. thanks again for you patience and help. will further investigate when i get back in town. tommy

10. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

I'll check back periodically to see what you find.

11. 69TowRig

69TowRig 1/2 ton status

Unplug, clean, grease, and plug your dash harness connector back in. The "last stop" for power before the harness heads to the bulkhead and out to the rear is through that connector. Do the same for your turn signal harness.

I found this out the hard way, I had gotten all my lights to work, and was under the dash doing other things, and the next day I realized that the rear lights didn't work. I had knocked that connector loose inadvertently.

Well anyway that's my suggestion.

12. 67lemanster

well thanks all. appparantly what happened is the guy i bought the truck from had a forman on his ranch who had a plug behind the air cleaner to plug in and unplug so rear brake lights and blinkers would not work. kinda like the old moonshiner days. we think it was for spotlighting deer at night, ya know to keep the federalies at bay. anyway i am back in bidness. thanks

13. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Interesting....gotta love what P/O's do:haha:

Glad you got it sorted out.:waytogo: