Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake light switch

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXBIGFISH, May 1, 2002.

1. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

I just replaced the old brake light switch, but have two extra prongs. The connector from the old switch will not plug in because of a plastic tab separating them.
    The one I bought looks different than the one I pulled out but in the box, it showed the "old style" and the "new style" and by that it is right.
    All my lights work properly brake, tailights, blinkers. So what dot he other two tabs go to? They were connected on the old switch!
    Should I cut the tab out and plug it in, or not worry about it?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Either for cruise or torque converter lock/unlock, not sure which or if both. If you don't have it hooked up and everything works, cool. If there was any wiring left over on your truck, I'd be worried, but only if it was the vintage that needed converter lockup or if the cruise control no longer worked right.

3. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

I do have a 350C tranny but haven't noticed a difference.
    To be quite honest I am not real sure what the difference between the 350 and 350C are, I don't have any wires connected to the tranny, I am also fixing to install a shift kit and it says on the box it will convert a 350C to a regular 350.
    I also had cruise control but I disabled it and don't really need it, it was a source of a vacum leak.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

350C stands for converter clutch. Extended engine life (less RPM's) decreased tranny heat production, and better economy. None of those reasons to get rid of it.

I've seen people on here talk about them being inherently "weak" but I've not seen any proof that they were so internally different from any other 350 that I believe it. Not saying they *aren't* weaker, just saying I haven't seen proof.

If all thats needed to convert it from lockup to non-lockup is a new (special) input shaft and converter, (or you are saying shift kit, never heard that before, I guess it's possible) then any other internal parts that were changed to make it a "C" variant, would still be in the tranny, and it would still be "weak".