Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

brake light / turn signal issue

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by funkycold, Aug 20, 2003.

1. funkycold

funkycold 1/2 ton status

My blinkers and hazards work fine until i hit the brake pedal and then the signals stop working and the brake light takes over. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif When I take my foot off the brake pedal....the turn signals work again. It is the same for both sides and the hazards. So I replaced the bulbs thinking that was it, but same thing, did not fix it.
    Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, I have not done any steering column work, light work, or wiring work lately.

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Well, this is common in older vehicles. I've had about 4 pre-1980 cars and trucks and all of them did this, so I thought it was just normal. Yours being an 89 though, it probably shouldn't be that way. Was that the first time you used the blinkers and hit the brake lights at the same time? If so then it may have always been that way.

3. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

your brake and turn signal are the same bulb, it's a speacial bulb, newer cars have the brake and turn signals sseperate, yours does not. I belive it's called a single filament bulb?

4. funkycold

funkycold 1/2 ton status

I understand the whole single vs dual filament bulb. The brake and turn signal operate off of the same bulb (1157, dual filament) this is where i am having the problem. There was no wire modifications and i have already changed both bulbs thinking that this may have something to do with it, but it did not change.The turn signals work fine, but stop blinking once the brake pedal is applied. I am not sure if this would have something to do with the brake switch or maybe the pigtail in the taillight.

<font color="blue"> 1156 single filament </font>
    [​IMG]

<font color="blue"> 1157 dual filament </font>
    [​IMG]

5. avgas

avgas 1/2 ton status

you have a light not working(or shorting) somewhere, check grounds(for rusty contacts), bulbs, on all four corners, most likely the back though. This is common on tailights that aren't equiped with a dedicated brake light(bulb) in addition to a dual purpose bulb.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Also make sure the filaments in the bulb aren't touching each other--I've seen many that are,and it causes all kinds of weird feedback problems--a weak OEM flasher can do this too,and the grounds and sockets as the other posters reccomended.Good luck--been there,wiring dilemas always suck!. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif P.S.--its normal for the hazards to stop blinking when brakes are applied,but the directionals should be unnaffected,if they dont keep blinking something is wrong. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif)

7. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

Get RED LED lights, you will never go back, i own them, they are bright as hell, let people know your stoping in the thickest snow or rain or whne your gunna turn, and they last for at least 10 years, outlive your truck lol, gotta love those light emmitting diodes. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif