Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake light wont go off.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kumma, Jan 5, 2001.

1. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

I just finished replacing my muffler with a new flowmaster as well as doing an oil change and now my brake light wont go off. The parking brake cables were disconnected by previous owner. I checked the fluid level and it was at the minimum level for both front and back, i added fluid but the light was still on. Now i dont have any leaks so im assuming my pads and shoes must be worn pretty bad. The truck stops pretty good but there is quite a bit of pedal travel. Any ideas, Its snowing now so i cant check the brakes themselves until next week. Thanks

[​IMG]

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Is the light for the parking brake or the normal brake? You'll have to figure out which is causing this light to be on. The normal brake switch is inside the little distrubution block on the frame crossmember under the engine. The parking brake switch is under the dash. It is possible that the problem is caused by a broken wire and not a real brake problem. If the truck still stops pretty good (no revolting noises) then the pads and shoes can't be gone complety, but check them out anyway. It is always good to know what condition your brakes are in. Does the vehicle brake differently since the light came on?

"Big? No, these tires might be big for your Jeep, but they're just temporary for my K-5" [​IMG]

3. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Try using a tierap to hold the parking brake pedal all the way up. This is a common fix for the light when you do not have parking brake cables...

4. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

thanks for the replys, just got thru checking the lines and what do you know i found a broken line way back near the gas tank. good thing i made it home before it gave out.
    CRaig

[​IMG]