Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake Light???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by testosterone, Jul 17, 2002.

1. testosterone

testosterone Registered Member

All of a sudden my brake light came on? The E brake is not engaged but the light stays on. Then right after that came on the 'service engine soon' light came on. The truck is running fine though, no probs at all (knock on wood)...I checked the wire on the E brake pedal and its connected. The check engine light went away after I restarted the motor...the brake light is still on though. I also checked my brake fluid and that is fine..This kind of thing just freaks me out for some reason. Any suggestions? Its a '90 Blazer.
    Thanks

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

E-brake light is also a warning for the proportioning valve, (that its seeing improper front/rear pressure, as in a leak in a line, or a bad master cylinder) and if I'm not mistsaken, yours will have Anti Lock rear brakes too, right? That might be tied into the brake light as well. When my master cylinder failed, it took the pedal actually moving sitting at light before the light triggered, which was pretty noticeable obviously, since the truck started rolling. : )

The "switch" for the e-brake itself can get screwed up and leave the light on constantly as well. (its held on with one screw and a piece of plastic that keeps it lined up right) One wire (tan?) hooked up right near where the brake cable hooks to the pedal. Unplug it. I can't remember if ground is open or closed on that switch, but probably, grounding the wire would turn the light on.

3. testosterone

testosterone Registered Member

Another thing..when I do depress the emergency brake the light gets brighter and then the brake is released the light goes just a bit softer...