Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

brake lights no workie

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85burbanator, May 31, 2006.

1. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

found out today that my brake lights arent working. replaced the bulbs and nothing, replaced the switch and nothing. what fuse goes to the brake lights(no test light) and no patience with mosquitoes, ants and rain. all the other lights work but those.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Its actually marked stop on the fuse panel . If its OK , check the connections out back . I have had them come loose before and the guy behind me hit me on the radio . Turned out to be a loose connection on one side and a burnt bulb on the other .

3. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

dont think i saw one marked stop. ill go check though. thanks. hopefully thats the culprit. conections looked good.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

and if the fuse is good...

It might be the directional switch,if everything else is good..I practically rewired a truck's lighting system once, from the cowl back because only one brakelight would light up all the time,and one either would not light,or only worked when it felt like it--sometimes neither one worked!--drove me batty for a week!

..I cleaned all the grounds,checked bulbs and sockets..and finally I found it by accident--I bumped up against the directional switch lever as I was stepping on the brakes from outside the cab with one foot,and I saw the light's refection on the garage door!..

If I held tension on the switch lever,the brake lights worked every time!..and if I let go,it was back to only one most of the time..the contacts in the switch were they mount in bakellite plastic were loose,and the plastic was melted enough to let them make poor contact..I remember it being pretty expensive for a new switch,and not much fun to put it in!..it was a ford truck with a ramp body(1970),but I've seen GM trucks with the same kind of symptoms and they also had faulty directional switches..

Make sure the wires to the stoplight switch are not chafed anywhere or grounding out..and all the plugs are tight and not green with corrosion...see that 12V is present at the switch wires with a test lamp..:crazy: