Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake lights won't turn off.. **UPDATE**

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudFrog, Dec 20, 2002.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Brake lights won\'t turn off.. **UPDATE**

I'm assuming it is because I either need to replace the little switch at the brake pedal or the switch is not grounded. How do I check for proper grounding on the switch? And if I need to replace the switch, what is the proper name for it? I could not find it on Autozone's site.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Re: Brake lights won\'t turn off..

<font color="green"> Just yank the spade connectors off of the switch then touch them together to see if the lights come on. If they go on and off when you touch the connectors, then you know the switch is bad. </font color>

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I'll give that a try.. thanks Shaggy!

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Get out of the truck, stick your head under the dash, and look at the switch where it contacts the brake pedal. If its not depressed fully, the switch needs to be pushed (wiggled is a better term : ) in a hair further.

It's not a super precise fit, as long as the "button" end of the switch is depressed "far enough", and everything else is working right, the lights will go off.

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Sometimes the threads the switch have on it for adjustment fail (they are plastic). I used a small radiator clamp to fix them in both of my trucks.

6. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Right on the money Grim.. The switch was being "pushed" away from the pedal when the pedal returned to the upright position. I took a plastic zip tie and tightened it down and it works great now.