Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake Lights

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Tonka, Jan 28, 2001.

1. Tonka

Tonka Registered Member

I'm new to this board, very nice. I drive a 72 Blazer every day. Other than the Harley, its all I've got (not complaining, don't get me wrong). Anyway, last night I went out and hooked up my trailer and when I was checking to make sure the lights worked, I found out that the brake lights on the truck arent' working. Everything else does, tails, turns, no problem. I checked the fuses and the brake light switch, and traced as much of the wire as I could. Found no problems. Could anyone help me out. What should I check next. If the turn signals work, that tells me the wires are ok because they are the ones that work the brake lights, right? Any help would be very much appreciated. I would really hate for someone to rear end my baby.

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I was going to suggest the switch but it sounds like youve been there.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

3. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

The same problem happened to my 87. Check the wiring, especially the ground. On my 87 I have a ground wire on both rear lights. Hope this helps.

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

also check the bulb area 4 corrosion

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud [​IMG]

5. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I looked at a wiring diagram for your '72. The tail lights and brake lights are on the same wiring. (brown) the turn signals are yellow(left) and dark green(right), with the reverse lights being light green. It sounds like your on the right track, I would check all the connections from around the rear bumber where the wiring splits to the side and inside the rear light assembly.

[​IMG]

6. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

The "brown wires" are actually for the taillights. The brakes use the same wires as the turn signals. It sounds like your problem is in the turn signal switch located under the sterring wheel. This switch is what determines if your brake light "flashes" or "doesn't flash" when the brake pedal is pushed. Email me if ya need any more suggestions.

Michael[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</A>

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Did you disconnect the truck from the trailer and try again, after making sure no fuses were blown? Trailer wiring many times will screw with the truck lights, moreso than you think. I can think of nothing more frustrating than the simple wiring on trailers, because it seems that to get those wires to work right takes longer than rewiring the whole truck : )

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html>http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html</A>

8. Tonka

Tonka Registered Member

Ok, thanks to everyone who replied, I appreciate the help. After checking everything out to the best of my ability and studying the wiring diagrams for so long I actually started to understand them (scary), I've come to the conclusion that it is indeed the turn signal switch. After placing the order for a new switch I'm even more sure - its expensive for a damn switch. It will come in Wednesday and I'll let you all know if it worked. This might be a good thing actually. I'll rebuild the signal canceler while I'm in there. They never worked worth a damn and after looking in there I can see why, the cam is broken. Thanks again for all your help.

9. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

He11 Tonka,

Sounds like ya got the right vehicals K-5 and a Hog...... Gas and ass eaters if I do say so my self...FLOL... Keep America Alive!!!!

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"