Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake line caught on FIRE!! **pics***

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Impex, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

Well i had the mobile welder come out to weld on my steering brace. he was using an arc welder (sp) he starts welding and stops goes over and turns up the power on the welder. next thing i know he is telling me to go get the hose cause the brake line caught on fire, sure enough my whole stainless steel brake line is on flames. i don't feel safe to use it so now i have to buy new ones /forums/images/icons/mad.gif the guy said he has never seen anything like that happen before. i don't know much about welding but he said something like it arched through the frame and down the line or something. the pics aren't that good ill try and get better ones tomorrow during the day but i figured you guys would like to hear about this. the white stuff is i guess coating on the lines that just melting and dripped off.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. lizard

lizard 1/2 ton status

sounds like he grounded the axle and not the frame (or whatever). The brake line became part of the electrical circuit. With all the amperage it overheated and burned.

Get out there and replace that line for sure!!! That guy needs to sell the welder and go fry burgers at the local greasy spoon..

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I hope you disconnected your -batt terminal before he began??
    I agree he had the ground clamp in the wrong spot! Maby? /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

4. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Sounds to me like the ol' mobile welder needs to buy you a new brake line.

5. GrimWheeler

GrimWheeler Registered Member

Greasy spoon, haven't heard that one in a while. I'd definetly find out if he grounded to the axle.. if he did.. I'd for sure make him buy a new line..

6. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

you guys are to funny, no i agree i should of made him buy me a new line but he cut me a good deal and did a really good job on welding so /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

7. lizard

lizard 1/2 ton status

man he had to have grounded incorrectly. Rule #1: Electricity follows the path of least resistance. unfortuantely that happened to be the braided stainless line instead of the frame.

(Rule 1#: Another reason why you never hold the ground in one hand and the torch in the other!! It only takes 0.7 amps through the heart to stop it!!!!! )

8. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

he first grounded it to the leaf spring then after the fire he clamped to the bumpstop bracket and no more fires.

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

What a friggin moron...he owes you a new line no matter how good the deal was. Any welder, even fresh out of school knows better than that. He should have ground a bare spot on the frame near where he was welding and clamped the ground there.

Damn, it's no wonder everyone thinks welders are stupid./forums/images/icons/mad.gif

Rene