Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake line caught on FIRE!! **pics***

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Impex, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

Well i had the mobile welder come out to weld on my steering brace. he was using an arc welder (sp) he starts welding and stops goes over and turns up the power on the welder. next thing i know he is telling me to go get the hose cause the brake line caught on fire, sure enough my whole stainless steel brake line is on flames. i don't feel safe to use it so now i have to buy new ones /forums/images/icons/mad.gif the guy said he has never seen anything like that happen before. i don't know much about welding but he said something like it arched through the frame and down the line or something. the pics aren't that good ill try and get better ones tomorrow during the day but i figured you guys would like to hear about this. the white stuff is i guess coating on the lines that just melting and dripped off.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

maybe mr.welder put the ground on the axle /caliper or sumthing . it should just go fwoosh like that , tell him to buy you new ones .

3. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

yeah he put it on the leaf spring then moved it after the fire to the bumpstop bracket. i know i should of made him buy me new ones but im stupid.

4. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

yikes!
    yeah i'd replace that before i drove it anywhere, might work fine in the driveway but you know i'll go out when you're doing 50 and come upon a redlight

5. bigdaddy89

bigdaddy89 1/2 ton status

This is from a post in the garage section.
    ........."WHERE THE **** CAN I GET CHEAP EXTENTENDED FRONT BRAKE LINES!!!!"

NAPA #38872.These are what I have on my rig.They are said to be 5" longer than stock but Im thinkin more like 7 or 8".Dunno what app. they are for but they bolted right up and they are way long and they were like $12 each.

Just thought I would share cuz I found the # and I hear people ask this 1 or 2 times a week

6. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I got 10" extenders at carquest for like $20 for both. I have like 31" of line now but they are still rubber kind but they do work if that helps

7. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

thanks for the part #'s i just went to Fly-n-Hi and bought the Superlift 11" over stock front brake lines. i was going to have some made but just was in a crunch for time

8. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

i bought the superlift ones too.. 110 for the front and rrear one... shipped to the door in 4 days /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    extra 11 inches is nice /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

A welder should know that there is no GOOD ground path from the axle to the frame. The spring eyes and shocks have rubber (or poly, same deal) and the driveshaft is connected only through about 4 sets of bearing/grease. Who cares if the spring is more convenient to attach to? The brake line must have been the lowest resistance path, but apparently not low enough!

10. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Yeah, you might want to check if he welded the u-joints in your front driveshaft too.

11. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Or your ring and pinion teeth. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I think a moment of silence is in order ................................................................................................................. I hope his welding skills were better than his grounding skills. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif As Tim "the tool man" Talor once said......."YOUR GROUNDED!!" /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif