Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake line fittings... Standard or metric

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fad2blk99, Jul 27, 2003.

1. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I am about to get a set of flare nut wrenches and need to know weather to get strandard or metric to get my stuck and rusted brake lines apart....

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The lines themselves should be american, the bleeder screws can be either american or metric depending on what the rebuilder has done.

3. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I'm talking about the flare-nuts on the hard-lines... the flare-nuts that thread into the flex lines (leading to the calipers), into the proportioning valve, etc...

4. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I used SAE line wrenches on my 84's tired lines. The ends out at the front hoses were channel-lock sized though.

As stated by others, the bleeder screws and banjo bolts were metric.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i use adjustable crescent wrench and tap hammer to get mine all the time, easy cake.

no problem at all.

and the stuff at the frame rails uses a clip and flare nut threaded into end of hose. thats easy too, can always cut hose or line to help removal use hacksaw or tin snips

good luck

6. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Mine are completely rusted and siezed in some parts. I've already had to resort to cuting off the ends and re-flaring some. It's just that I have a lot more to go through, so I think its time to get the "proper" tool for the job and see where that gets me....
    I'm thinking I'm just gonna go with metric since that's what most of our American made vehicles tend to be on the smaller detail part assemblies...