Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake line leak after axle swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rampage, May 15, 2002.

1. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

My 10 bolt finally gave out on me on my 89 Blazer so I swapped in the 10 bolt from my spare 78 pickup. I unbolted everything from the pickup and disconnected the hard brake lines at the T just above the axle. Everything went smooth and bolted up fine. The problem is that after I connected the hard brake lines at the T on the Blazer and went to bleed the lines brake fluid started leaking from somewhere around the T. The lines went in without a problem so I don't beleive I cross threaded the fittings. I disconnected the lines and reconnected them but it still leaked on me. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif/forums/images/icons/mad.gif/forums/images/icons/mad.gif It's really hard to tell where it's leaking from since there is so little room to see up there (I even tried the mirror trick). What could have gone wrong and better yet how can I go about getting the lines to make a tight seal. This is my daily driver so I need it back on the road. TIA

2. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Clean up the inside and outside of the threads very well.

Check the ferule for damage.

Good luck.

3. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I'll check on that.
    Neither truck had brake fluid leak before and I was careful during the swap ... but maybe one of the lines did get damaged during the process.
    The one funny thing about this is that just minutes after I got the tires installed onto the Blazer and got it off the jack stands we had a 5.2 earthquake ... talk about done in the nick-of-time /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

4. 78Jimmyish

78Jimmyish 1/2 ton status

I don't know if this is possible or not, but could you put some kind of Teflon tape on it to ensure that it's not leaking from the fitting and go from there? Just tossing ideas.

5. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Teflon could get in the line and clog it up loosing the brakes I wouldn't suggest it ;-(

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Tighten it down real good (but don't strip it). You have to conform the ends to each other.

7. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

How tight is tight? I tightened it REAL good but I don't want to strip the threads ... that's just what I would need /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

8. BigBri

BigBri Registered Member

check the flare on the end of the line that's leaking, if the flare is damaged it will leak for sure

9. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Yep, the flare was damaged. Actually it had a hairline crack in it.
    Thanks for help /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif