Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake Line Leak

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by smack, Apr 17, 2000.

1. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

I seem to have a leak at my caliper where my brake line connects and after cleaning it I'm wondering if it's okay to use hi-tack or silicone to help seal it or if it's best to just replace the whole caliper.
    Also, as far as bleeding, do I have to bother with the proportioning valve???
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

The first thing to try is, replace the small copper washer (I can not remember the name of those damn things) between the brake line and the caliper. You can get them at any auto parts store for about .20 cents.

Steve

3. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

The washers come with the banjo bolts. You should have a washer on each side of the brake line where it attaches to the caliper. As far as the proportioning valve goes, I don't think you have to mess with it.

BIGJ

4. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies,
    There was only the one washer which went on to bold-head side and not one between the line and the caliper. I'll try installing one there and see if that helps.
    I can't see how it could though since the brake line is new and very flat. Maybe not flat enough, eh?

5. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Thats the name, Banjo washers, you can buy them seperatly, you just need to ask the counterperson, they usally keep them in a small box under the counter, but bring in the old ones for comparison due to the many sizes they have.

Steve

6. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

A Banjo washer is just a washer with ribs on it right??
    Because where the line connects at the caliper is ribbed -- maybe that's just a cooked on banjo washer?

7. BIGJ

The line is supposed to have a ribbed ring where the washer goes (on both sides). The banjo washer is flat.

BIGJ

8. BIGJ

Correction, the washer is smooth (of course it's flat!). Sorry.

BIGJ

9. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I haven't had the good fortune to try the banjo washer -- I commute 2 hours to work each way!! -- but I did try one of the silver washers that came with the brake-line kit and that seemed to solve the problem. Maybe they were there for a reason duh.
    Thanks for all the help
    jason