Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake Line Leaking?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Today I noticed that one of my front brake lines is leaking. It is one of the Napa 38872's, and it is leaking at the bottom fitting by the banjo bolt. The front lines are only 6 months old. I replaced the old Superlift Extended SS lines with these after a Superlift line burst. I am pretty sure I didn't damage them when I put them on.

It is leaking from where the rubber line goes into the fitting, or that appears to be where. This is the same side the Superlift line burst on. Is there a possible problem I should be looking at with 1 line bursting and 1 line leaking on the same side? The Superlift lines where 8-9month old, and the Napa's are 6 months old. Thanks for any help. I appreciate it.

Harley

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I assume that you used new crushwashers on the banjo fitting when you replaced the lines? </font>

3. Hossbaby50

We used everything that came with the line. I am not sure exactly what the crushwasher is (by name, probably by sight or description). If you describe them and there job I can tell you if we did or not. I know we didn't use new banjo bolts, but I can't think of anything else we reused.

4. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Harley
    Have you looked for some kind of an obstruction in the caliber? Seeing as it the same side and all. And I take it the line in leaking around the crimped part?

5. Hossbaby50

Correct on the leaking point. It is leaking out of the crimped area. As for the caliper, I didn't check for obstructions. It looks like I am going to have to now.

I have never had a problem with my brakes pulling. They might very slightly, but nothing even remotely worrying. If this makes any difference or helps any. I added some fluid to the master cylinder the other day, but I didn't think anything of it. I thought I just might not have topped it off fully after I replaced the lines the last time. I don't believe I over filled it either. It was closer to the max then the min, but it wasn't over max.