Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake Line Lowering Kit

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84k5, Sep 12, 2000.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I was flipping through my Skyjacker catalog and I saw that they sell a little kit to drop your front brake lines down for $5. I would like to install this until I have the money for the stainless steal lines. Does this kit bolt on? Do you have to bleed the brakes? Is this an okay thing to do or is it crap? Thanks.

Brian
    84k5, 4"Skyjacker lift,33x12.5 Goodyear MT/R, 15x10 Bajas

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I have a 4" lift and relocated lines and it works just fine. I do wheel it quite a bit and have never torn one off(good thing[​IMG]). I also would like the stainless extended lines but have other priorities right now. I don't know if you have to bleed your brakes after or not though.

Rene

[​IMG]

3. Topher

Topher Registered Member

I don't know what the Skyjacker kit looks like. But if it's anything like the lowering kit that came with my 4" Tuff Country lift, then all you're doing is lowering the connection point between the main line & the hose that goes to the caliper. My kit basically consisted of a metal bracket that you bolt onto the bottom of the existing bumpstop bracket. Then you have to disconnect the brakeline since it runs through a hole in the frame, and then re-run the lines "under" the frame & reconnect it at the new bracket. Simple to do, but I don't know how well it works since I had opted for some 4" stainless steel lines.

BTW anytime you disconnect the brakelines, such as in the above procedure, you'll have to bleed the brakes to get rid of any air that may have entered into the lines. Good luck, hope this helps.

Chris