Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

brake line nightmare.. pics inside

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Jul 17, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Does anybody even know what part number this brake line is? Its for an IFS truck, and I thought it would fit mine.

Its for 10mm caliper bolts, so I decided to drill it to 7/16. I was going to get some new copper washers to go against the caliper and bolt. I'm afraid that I didn't drill the hole perfectly straight on one of the lines, as you can see in the pic. I also can't figure out which lines I'm supposed to use on which side, or even exactly how they're supposed to line up against the calipers.

THE REAL PROBLEM IS that the fittings on the end of these new extended brake lines are simply too thin. The caliper bolt bottoms out before it clamps the line down. So what do I do now? Stacking washers if asking for a leak. I thought about cutting a little off my hollow caliper bolt, but I'm starting to feel like my brake system is going to be very ghetto rigged... not a good thing!!!

Can I make these lines work? If not, what extended lines can I get for my '78 k20 corp 10, which has a 7/16 fitting??

somebody please help!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:(

2. Scrubby

Scrubby 1/2 ton status

3. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

I used 1984 Chevette lines on my rear disc conversion. They are about a foot long and cheap.

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

This is for front brakes, not rear

5. 78Suburban

I'm thinking of grinding the hollow caliper bolt shorter, so that it will grab onto these thinner brake line fittings, is this a bad idea?

Do my holes I drilled look like they're straight enough that they'll even have a chance of sealing (I'm getting new copper washers tomorrow)?

6. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

As long as you dont cut off too much and clean the bolt, I dont see why you couldnt just cut some off. Building, not buying is the name of the game, and you can do it safely too.

7. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

1. Aslong as the copper washer covers your hole, which it will, you wont leak. Thats what seals it..

2. Take a grinder, cut off wheel, hacksaw, band saw, something to cut down the banjo bolt, but dont take a ton off.

8. Scrubby

Scrubby 1/2 ton status

Like I said, I cut mine off. Just like 3/8" or so with a hack saw. Then I ground the cut end to a taper and cleaned up the treads with a die. Works great.

9. 78Suburban

If anybody else needs a short 7/16 bolt, this one is absoultely perfect!!!

[​IMG]