Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake Line Problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TK5, Jun 19, 2003.

1. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

I am using '76 3/4 ton calipers on my Dana 44 which use 7/16 Banjo bolts and washers. My stock 10 bolt had I believe had the samll 17 mm. I was told to drill out by brake line to fit the 7/16 line. I have tightened the banjo bolt as tight as I can, but I have a leak from hell both sides.

My guess I screwed up my brake line when I drilled it out to 7/16". My option I guess is to get new brake lines to fit the '76 calipers

Any comments would be appreciated.

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

did you use the brass crush washers?

3. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

I sure did. I changed them out 3 times Top and bottom both sides.

4. Confedneck

top and bottom? hmm try just between the caliper and hose... where is it leaking? between the caliper and hose or between the hoseblock and bolt?

5. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

It's really hard to tell. It seems to be leaking from the bottom.between the block and caliper.

6. Confedneck

bring it to florida and ill fix it.. LOL, you might have hurt it by "precision machining the hole" lol

7. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

Yea, precision machine. Why don't just come to Tennessee and fix it for me. I getting tired of driving my granny van.

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Are there any burs on the brake line that could cause the leak? How tight did you tighten the banjo bolt? Could you go tighter without breaking it?

9. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

No burrs, I've tightened it as far as my 6 foot 253 lb body will let me. I'm afraid if I get too drastic, I will either strip the bolt or the caliper. I have put some pretty good pressure on the ratchet while tightening.

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I guess you'll have to buy new lines then. I think I would have bought rebuilt calipers (and turned in the wrong ones as a core...they don't know or care what the difference is)...but it is too late for that now. Just buy some new Stainless Braided lines and call it good.

11. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

These were new calipers. I got problem corrected. No 4 wheel drive stores for 200 miles from me. All the custom automotive stores didn't have any. It would be 3-5 days. I said screw that. I called a local speed shop that caters to the asphalt and dirt trackers around here and found what I needed. Stainless block, braided stainless lines and everything. I paid $73 dollars for all the pieces that I needed even had it delivered to me at school. Nice guys, but they were coming to a race shop just down the road anyway. But still nice. Thanks to friends at NO BUDGET Racing for turning me on these guys. They even had the roll material for my future project of Roll Cage.

I gravity bled the front and was working on the rear, but I had to leave to get lunch.

Thanks for all the help. I forgot to mention no leaks now.