Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake line Question?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by highrlr, Jan 21, 2005.

1. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

I just installed a set of pro-comp braided stainless steel brake lines and I was wondering on the front callipers does the block on the end of the brake line just bolt right to the calliper or is there supposed to be a crush washer between the caliper and brake line? I dont think there was anything between the two factory but the factory block had some grooves on it that looked like they must have sealed it up? I was also wondering if anyone had any tricks for getting the draglink disconected from the steering arm? I tried prying on it while smacking the steering arm with a BFH and it would not come loose?

2. gmchevy

gmchevy Registered Member

yes, you should run the brass compression washers for the brake lines, the easiest way (i think) to removed the steering arm is to heat it up with a torch, also soak the studs with some pb blaster or wd40 for a day or so before using the torch. the studs are slightly tappered and the steering arm is somewhat pressed on. for the actual drag link just use a ball joint separater (pickle fork) and a BFH. beat the pickle fork into the joint and smack the pitman and or steering arm just above the joint.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

supposed to be flat copper washer between caliper and banjo block,

AND between banjo block and under banjo bolt head also

IE., two of them per side of truck

yes the washers are grooved faces both sides of them

NAPA and such have these, dont skimp out

good luck

4. timmay

timmay Registered Member

This works real well if you also like replacing ball joints :rolleyes:

5. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

Sounds like I need the crush washers then, the brake line kit instructions says that the kit includes new crush washers but the only washers in the kit just look like normal wachers to me since crush washers are copper right? Im assuming they make different size crush washers so does anyone know what size I need? I will probably have to go rent a pickle fork to get the draglink removed from the steering arm then, but doesnt that usually ruin the ball joint or atleast tear the boot? As far as removing the steering arm i think im gonna go after that thing with a big ol sledgehammer:grin: Oh and I have been spraying every nut and bolt under the thing with WD-40 and justice brothers JB-80 for like 3 weeks now and it has worked excellent on everything on the front end (the rear was a different story:mad: ) I think the drag link has just been on there so long it is just really frozen on! And im sure it will be the same story with the steering arm, i helped a budy put one on his '85 K5 a few years back and it took a good few hours of straight beating by 3 of us to finally break it loose!

6. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

Are you talking about the ball joints on the knuckle? I would imagine you would have to get that bad boy realy hot to affect the ball joints wouldnt you?