Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

brake line question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 76blazerguy, Nov 24, 2005.

1. 76blazerguy

76blazerguy 1/2 ton status

This is probably a pretty newbie type of question but how do i get my brake lines seperated from the frame at the front. Its a 76 and the line runs through the frame, i think that is different from the 80's maybe.. There are some u clips on the outside of the frame and i dont know how to get those off? Do they need to come out to get the brake lines off. Sort of need to do this so i can finally finish the lift so i can actually go test it out!

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

pliers + flat screwdriver... pull/pry, the clip will come off. Sometimes they are held on with crusty-grime.

j

3. 76blazerguy

hmmm tried that tonight couldnt even get them to spin. But thanks and i will try that tomorrow some more

4. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I use needle nose pliers and didn't have to many probs. You could try a flat head screwdriver and a soft mallet hammer and try to tap it off.............

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Do the older trucks have the nut inside the frame rail? The kind where you take the hard line loose and then thread the nut off of the hose from inside the frame rail?

:confused:

6. 76blazerguy

ok well these things arent budging. I even got out the trusty hammer and wouldnt even spin or move! Has anyone with a similar style brake lines had theres off before? if so HOW

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

73-80 or so is threw the frame with tin nuts on them. 81-up or so is little brackets rivited to the frame with line threw hole in frame to rubber hose on bracket. these are the ushaped clip holddowns. if you need to remove with any way possible you can get new clips from most parts stores for 1-3 bucks each.

8. 76blazerguy

im not going to need the u clips anymore because im going to put the extended brackets on i think and get new lines also