Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake Line Question.....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BowtieGuy3, Jul 23, 2003.

1. BowtieGuy3

BowtieGuy3 Guest

Ok...I ran into a problem from a dealer of brake lines. It seems that they don't have a listing for my 89. So, I was wondering, are the 89 4x4, 1/2T pick-up brake lines the same as the 89 Jimmy's? I mean I don't mind a little "Custom Fitting", but once they bend these lines up, I can't return the things, so I'd like to judge ahead of time on what to buy. (and no, I don't like bending them myself)

2. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Depends on where it goes. If it's located on the axle then yes. If it goes on the framerail then probably not.
    BTW: Your parts man at the dealer sucks! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif Have them look for brake lines from a second gen Blazer/pickup (1/2ton) Don't use an 89 pickup since that is a different beast than the second gen and I don't know if they use the same axle.

3. BowtieGuy3

BowtieGuy3 Guest

The prop valve is located up front under the radiator I think, I haven't popped my head in there to take a look-see. The lines for the front start there and then run on out to the cal. hoses. I know all the brake crap up front should be the same, but I havent had time to dig around in the parts comp at work, but Im looking to that tomorrow.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Some parts manuals get very fuzzy around the time period that the GM pickup design totally changed, yet the K5 and Suburban bodies didn't (and some 1-ton trucks). But I think that brake lines on an '87 K5 would be the same as the brake lines on your '89. The only possible difference that I can think of would be the lines right at the master cylinder, if your truck has the factory rear wheel ABS.

5. BowtieGuy3

BowtieGuy3 Guest

Well I was kinda hoping for more input on this topic from y'all...I mean I've been up to my ass in tech manuals comparing stuff, and I can't see a difference, so I'd like some input from the peanut gallery....... /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

6. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Here's some input from the peanut gallery-

Get your lines from someone who knows what they are talking about....I went through inline tube for mine. 3 minute phone call, 4 days to arrive.....and MANY hours to install, but they were 100% correct, the bends EXACTLY where they went etc.... Why bother messing around with some place that "doesnt list your truck"....

Brandy

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

just remember, the more you are "ok" with them not having a part for your k5, the less they will stock parts for you in the future. Support places that stock K5 parts!

8. BowtieGuy3

BowtieGuy3 Guest

Well, this is thru Inline Tube, and they're the ones who brought it to my attention before bending them up and sending the parts out.

9. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I think you got a "dummy" on the phone....call back.

When I called- I told them my axles were from a 79 p/u and it was an 86 K5...(I havent a clue whats interchangable etc.)... The guy says "no problem, you'll have them in a week"...4 days later- they were at my door.

I would call back- get someone different on their phone who actually knows what they are talking about.

I'm VERY surprised that inline didn't list your K5

Brandy

10. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I do believe an 87 K5 would have the same hard lines.

I recently (2 weeks ago) plumbed new hard lines from the combination valve to the front brake hoses. It took about an hour to bend them myself by hand and install. One spot isn't "pretty" because I had to take the bend out because I lost the fitting while fishing it around the crossmember. I recommend bending by hand even if you don't like it unless you're going to buy stainless prebent lines. The cost savings is definitely worth it.

Doing the line that runs to the rear would be cake.

If you buy a plier type brakeline/fuel line bender you could really make them pretty. You could get a tight bend coming right out of the combination valve going to the right front tire easily instead of spending fifteen minutes on it like I did. The last time I looked at prebent line it was $180 and didn't even come with the pigtails that go from the master cylinder to the combination valve. That's a ripoff.

11. BowtieGuy3

BowtieGuy3 Guest

OK, just said hellwiffit and ordered the 87's...So they're on their way and I'll keep ya posted on what's all happenin with these (well we all know it's gonna be heavenly or hellish) when I get them...
    Stay tuned for the next episode....
    Same Bat-time......
    Same Bat-channel...