Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake lines between the MC and valve

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79_hootie_k5, Jan 21, 2007.

1. 79_hootie_k5

79_hootie_k5 Registered Member

Anyone know where to find these lines? They appear to be 3/16th and have different fittings for the front and rear of the MC.
    I looked around, but every brake line kit I have seen seems to omit the 2 lines I need.

79 k5 if it matters.

Thanks for any help.

2. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

3. 79_hootie_k5

thanks

I went to lmc first, but totally missed it.
    Thanks a bunch.

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

www.inlinetube.com

Not sure if they sell them seperate, I'm sure they would if they are not listed, just call them. They definitly have them though, I have sets from them for the C10 and my K5 and they both came with the lines your looking for.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

tips...

They sell brass adapter fittings to put a 3/16" brake line nut into the bigger sizes on most GM master cylinders,but they are costly,and diffucult to find at most parts houses..

I always save the original brake line nuts that are "weird" sizes or threads,by cutting the line off close to the nut,then remove it,--use a six point socket to avoid boogering the hex portion up!!...and carefully remove the peice of old brakeline inside the original nut..sometimes drilling ,or using a punch is nessasary to remove it..then you can slide it on a new peice of brake line tubing, and double flare it..

I've had to do this many times on a sunday,didn't have a choice really,if I didn't want to walk to work monday morning!...

If your real lucky,some places sell the lines that have 2 different fittings--one fits the master cylinder,the other end has the usual 3/16" line nut..best to bring your original lines from the master cyl. with you,because there are many different thread sizes used on them..you may end up using the old fittings,because finding the right ones in stock at a parts store is a crap shoot..:crazy:

6. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

x2

Just make your own. It's not that difficult. If the standard line fittings won't fit, just reuse the old fittings on the new line or get adapters. I'd never pay $100 for brake lines. :eek1:

edit: I'm slow. x3, apparently. ;)

7. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

inline tube has the fittings by themselves if you want just those too.

8. 79_hootie_k5

The original fittings are 28 years old, I think I will just spring for some new ones.

I have been to every auto parts store around here and can't find the fittings for the MC in the right size. I can find them in 1/4, but I can't make the bend to the valve under the crossmember.

9. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

You know it's permissible to loop the line, right? As long as it continues in a downward direction and doesn't go above the fluid level in the MC.