Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake lines broken...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Balou, Apr 16, 2000.

1. Balou

Balou 1/2 ton status

got home this morning with the hand-brake only.
    I'd like to replace with stainless steel 4" or 6", which one is better???
    At present I have 4" suspension lift, planning to do some more work for flexibility (swaybar, etc.).

Does anybody have experience with 35x12.5 Kelly Safari QTR?
    I'm not sure it's available in the US, but it's cheap, o.k. for sand and mudd, safe but loud on highway.

I got the impression my front suspension are tired.
    What do they normally look like, just flat or a little bit curved to the ground.

Balou

2. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    I'm going to take for granted you are not applying that you DROVE a truck home with no hydraulic braking system... As far as the stainless lines, I"ve got the extended braided steel lines. I purchased my lines through Summitracing.com I don't know if they ship international, but my lines set me back $100. usd. I think the lines are pretty darn important as far as for a lifted vehicle, though you should be fine with a 4" lift.

As far as the springs in the front, they usually (stock) will either be flat or arched up towards the body. Lifted springs will have a slight amount of downward bend and a extra leaf or two over stock. If you are talking about your stock leaves being flat and refering to your vehicle having a 4" lift, I hope that you are wise enough to not be running liftblocks in the front. (A add-a-leaf won't net you 4".) That along with a non-functional brake system is a vehicle that needs to be parked until these severe safety issues are corrected. I'm not sure what you can getaway with out of the US, but for your own safety and those around you...

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

3. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Corey....while i was stationed in Germany i had a german license to drive the autobahn system...the germans have a anual inspection called TUV....much like some of the eastern states do...they inspect the vehicle from the lights to the springs!!! Believe me they are tuff!! They flagged my 69 chevelle during the initial inspection after it was removed from the boat in Bremerhaven...just try and find front a arm bushings for a 69 chevy in germany!!! Actually i got lucky and found a OPEL dealer in town who had them Opel is a part of GM.

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

4. Balou

Balou 1/2 ton status

Corey,
    don't worry, it's just 2 mls. from my little playground to my garage. It's easy to manage with low gear and hand-brake.
    By the way rubber is allready renewed and fluid refilled.
    Sorry about the translation mistake, of course it's 4" lift blocks front and rear. Front springs look like stock (3 leaves) and are arched up a little bit. What's the problem, it looks a little weak but it works so far.
    Sorry, but that's how I bought it 2 years ago, now I got time and money to do some work on it.

AZBlazer
    you're right with that TÜV thing, believe me they [censored] me up several times in the past. For trucks it's a yearly procedure, for normal cars every 2nd. year. For tax reason I choose to announce it as a truck (tax difference is $ 1.500 a year).
    It's quiet easy to find some body parts or springs in Germany, but try to find somthing with a non-metric thread.

Balou

5. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Glad to hear that you made it back with no problems. I've had a couple of drives like that myself. Do you really have lift blocks on the front axle? If you do, I'd suggest getting rid of them as soon as possible. They can make for a very unsafe vehicle. I'd go with Tuff country EZ-ride springs, I've had very good luck with them and they are fairly cheap.