Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake Lines...do I need to have them reflanged?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by equalizer, Dec 9, 2003.

1. equalizer

equalizer Registered Member

Currently in Northern Alberta. Soon to be heading
    Another brake related question. I took off my rear passanger brake line that connects the wheel cylinder to the spliter thingamajig underneth the box.. Anyway, I go to get a new line and find that the end that screws into the wheel cylinder is 3/8 (with the a small flange) while the other side is bigger (7/16 I think. Now I can get the bigger piece the screws into the splitter but then the flange (and bit ) is to big to accomadate the wheel cylinder. Anyway, a guy at the first shop couldn't explain this difference, while a guy at the second shop said that I needed to have the bigger peice taken off and reflanged onto the smaller one..Is this correct and am I making sense
    Thanks
    MarcD

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

If you say flanged no one will have a clue what you are talking about. You need to cut off the end, put your old end on, and flare it. You should be able to buy a double flare tool at any parts store but some places will loan them. Practice a few times first and make sure it looks good before you hook it back up or it will leak. The other option is adapters. Most parts stores sell adapters to go from a smaller size to a larger size. Just buy the smaller size and use an adapter to fit the larger size.

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

are you in BC yet?
    if so I can lend you the double flare kit, or flare it for you if it is mobile
    any shop can do that for you as well, even Cdn tire.

4. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

#1 rule of flaring
    Making a perfect flair is a pita, but when you make a perfect one and smile becuase now you can finish the job, you set down the flaring tool and notice the fitting on the bench.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

flaring is easy just go buy or rent the double flare kit for SAE flaring and youll be done in a matter of a few minutes, you can buy a small red tubing cutter real cheap at plumbing place or hardware place, they are like 5 bucks each and i have two and they have lasted me a couple or three years now and they still work great they cut anything up to around like 7/16" diameter or maybe 1/2"

the flaring tool you usually have to crank the sucker really sduper tight to keep the line from slipping so that it can flare the line

but yeah you need to swap the old fititng to the new line

good luck

6. equalizer

equalizer Registered Member

Currently in Northern Alberta. Soon to be heading
    Awsome guys. Because they sold tools to do the job, I didn't figure it was uncommmon. I'll have it done today. M_J, still not in lower mainland, Van city yet, soon though, probably just after new years. Later
    MarcD