Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

brake lines to the center of the front axle

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 77ChevyK10, Aug 18, 2004.

1. 77ChevyK10

77ChevyK10 1/2 ton status

I have so much flex i need to drop the brake line to the center of the front axle. dose anyone have some part#'s that would help me. like hard line, ruber line to the center, and all that B.S.
    thanks

Andrew

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I dont know for sure but it might be possible to use the extended rear break line, tie in some hard line to run on the axle, then hook them up to the stock front lines (similar to the rear disk coversion setup). /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I think all of this might revolve around a new proportioning valve /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I've often wondered why it wasn't dropped to the center of the axle like the rear. The only reason I could think of was that it's alot easier to catch the brake hose on something and have it torn off. I know it doesn't answer your question but it could be a safety issue. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Rob has done it on his. He might have some part #'s around. Matt's D60 came that way to so he might be able to help you figure out what an application would be that would work.

Harley

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Dodges do this from the factory.

6. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

look up info for a dodge dana 60 80s time, thats how mine was but i changed it to two lines

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I planned to do this on mine originally, whenever I build a buggy I will do it. Much better for flexing since the center of the axle doesn't droop as much as the outers most of the time. And even when it does a simple center limiting strap will prevent damage.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I never thought a limiting strap would be necessary with leaf springs until I destroyed my high angle driveline. I think after this I will always limit down travel at the pumpkin.

9. 77ChevyK10

77ChevyK10 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info. keep it come'n

Andrew

10. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Okay andrew, I have a 1990 Dodge D60 it came with the center drop set up. 1 soft line from the frame with the T block going to the L & R hard lines that stopped at the knuckle. Then there was a 10" soft line to the caliper. The soft line will work on a 10B and should on a D44 too. You will need to make your own hard lines as the dodge axle is a little narrower than the GM axles. Use the longest GM rear drop line you can find (I have a napa # around hear somewhere) and wala. Keep a center mount limiting strap for the ocasional jump or two and you are good. I don't know how the proportioning (sp) block on the x-member fits in this though. Rob, or somebody else if they are reading, will have that answer.