Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake lines %@$*&!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ugly_blazer, Sep 22, 2004.

1. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

When running hardline on a rear axle housing, what do you do with the extra line? The lines are too long. Can these be cut and re-flared? (professionally, I know my copper tubing flare block won't work) I could just coil it up, like they do at the master cylinder... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Three routes:

1) Coil or bend it to take up the extra length.
    2) Cut your current line and re-flare the cut end - use a double-flaring tool available at parts stores for around $30-40.
    3) Go to a parts store and buy a shorter, pre-made hard line (cut to a certain length, flared, with fittings - for the length of an axle tube, probably about $3-4)

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Usually I just coil it up like a pigs tail if its too long,unless I'm working on a customers truck and they want it to look perfect,then I have to cut and re-double flare it--you can couple 2 smaller or different lengths together with a coupler also.I dont get to anal about brake lines appearance,where I live your lucky to get 1 year out of them before they rust through again--. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

4. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    2) Cut your current line and re-flare the cut end - use a double-flaring tool available at parts stores for around $30-40.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will check into this. I just put disc brakes on my 14 bolt and want the lines to look somewhat cool when I show off my new brakes. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Go to Autozone and rent the flaring tool. It works great and it's free to rent.

6. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

I bought the 3' lines from AutoZoned I believe. They were too long, so the left side of the rear flex line goes to the right wheel, and the right side of the rear flex line goes to the left wheel. It looks .... interesting. At the time I didn't have a flair tool. I purchased one from Sanel Auto, because I couldn't fine enough room to stuff over-long lines under the front of my truck for my after-market tranny cooler.
    I'll tell ya, it looks goofy when you have cooler lines that run infront of and over your bumper! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif