Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake Lines

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1979jimmy350, Jan 31, 2006.

1. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

I am getting ready to swap axles and lift my k-5 and i have a few brake questions.

1) I have a D44 right now and am switching to a 10 bolt front. Will the brakes i have now fit the 10 bolt or would i be better off to keep the 10 bolt brakes

2) I am looking at upgrading to stainless steel front brake hoses what are the thread sizes that i would need for the D44 and the 10 Bolt.

3) I am looking at the hoses that are a total of 16" in length is that enough for 4 inches of lift and maby six somday in the future?

Thanks
    1979jimmy350

2. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

the brakes are different if you are doing a 1/2ton to 3/4 ton swap, the 3/4 ton stuff is alot bigger

alot of places sell extended braided stainless steel brake lines, depending on how much flex you are getting out of your front suspenion, imo its better to go longer and add some springs to the middle of the lines to keep the from contacting your tires and not having brake line limit straps. ord has info on the fittings and stuff if you really want to make your own
    http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/braidedbrakelines.htm

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

The D44 should use a 7/16-20 banjo bolt on the caliper. The 10B will most likely use a 10mm banjo bolt. The fitting at the hard line should be a 3/8-24 threaded fitting. If you want to make it really easy on yourself, we sell Crown Performance brake lines. Send me a PM if you're interested.

I run 7" of lift and I use 24" long brake lines. I don't need them acting like a limiting strap. ;)

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

What about the calipers? My K20 used the caliper for a K10.

5. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

calipers are the same from 1/2 to 3/4 or 10 bolt to d44 it doesnt matter. Rotors are different. The banjo bolts are different and can be found at the junkyard if you have the wrong style standard/metric. I would get stainless steel flex lines for sure they dont deteriate and get them long for a 7" lift.