Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

brake "Lockers"?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by coloradoblazers, Sep 24, 2002.

1. coloradoblazers

coloradoblazers 1/2 ton status Premium Member

brake \"Lockers\"?

Just thinking today, and was wondering if this idea might work:
    Useing "line locks" or "roll stops" with 2 selonoids( one to each side of the brakes, could it be used as a makeshift locker? If one tire is stuck spinning in the air, lock it up, making the easist path for the torque through the wheel on the ground. Is this just one of those 'theory vs. reality' things, or could I get this to work? It would be well manered on the street, still get ok traction, double as a parking brake, and cutting brakes, and help with better launches for quicker E.T.'s(LOL) Of couse it would not have both wheels spinning, but it would be better than open.

2. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Re: brake \"Lockers\"?

20 years ago some company made a setup like this. So it would work somewhat. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

There is a picture in one of the new offroad mags (I'm at work, it's at home, and I get so many I can't remember which one, but it's the one with the "Great Pumpkin" orange blazer on the cover), that had a rig that had line locks on each branch of the rear brake lines (hydraulic parking brake/cutting brakes/etc.). They won't work like a traditional locker, but you can lock a wheel that is not in touch with the ground to put power to the other wheel, so it will help get you out of some stucks.

4. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

It would take a lot of work. Usually if a tire is in the air it is only up for a couple seconds and then the other side might be the one up. So you would end up going 1' then having to switch sides cause you would then be dragging the tire when it set back down. If you had it lever activated like dune buggies it might work better so you could modulate it back and forth.

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Not to seem kinda odd, but you could install some sorta wheel speed sensor on each side (simple magnetic pulse sensors would work) but you'd need to hook it up to some sorta interpreter (Old notebook computer?) and then you'd need some sorta aditional modulated brake controllers on each of the wheels. You could then technically program the computer to deliver different amounts of brake fluid pressure to the wheel that is slipping based upon the difference in slippage between the left and right wheels. (or apply brake pressure on the wheel that is going faster until it slows down to the speed of the other wheel).

Anyone interested in building something like this? I have an old 386 compaq notebook.....would look real cool to have the computer display wheel spin. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> That's basically how traction control works on newer cars. WIth that much work you're getting out of the "simple locker" idea and opening a whole new can of worms though. Why introduce complexity when a locker would do the ame thing? A cutting brake would be pretty cool though...</font color>

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I realized thats how mercedes and Acura deal with wheel spin and what not... but it was a cool-ness factor more than anything else. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Just a thought! (you can even put sensors on 4 wheels hook those up, and then have a cool graphical display showing you your "traction avaliablity".) Lol, a lot of work but a cool part about it is, you can actually get 100% of the power to an axle to one side of the wheel, where as a locker, you only get 50%. Plus, there's a added benefit (at least in theory). You should break less parts because as soon as the wheel without traction is being pushed foward, the caliper on that wheel should let go. Sudden grabbing of a tire should be non existant, I would think.

Man, this is a huge project. Easier ot drop in a locker. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

BTW, anyone try that new eaton Electric locker?

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    have a cool graphical display showing you your "traction avaliablity

[/ QUOTE ] <font color="green"> That's just a bit too "Fast and the Furious" for my tastes /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif </font color>

9. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

Wouldn't be as cool as hydrostatic drive. Skid-steer blazer..Hmmmm....You could stick some 48"tires under there and do donuts.