Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake locks

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Emmettology 101, May 30, 2000.

1. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

What is the general concensus on brake locks?
    I have looked into Mico Lever locks and they are a little pricey ($205). Summit Racing sells a few different "line Locks" that I could use as a brake lock and they are about 1/4 of the price of the Mico Lock.

Anyone use either of these locks? Any comments?
    Right now I have no E-Brake and need something for the trail.

Thanks

Mike
    82 GMC Jimmy "Emmett" "Built for function, not for beauty!"
    IN TOO DEEP Off-Road Club

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I have the Mico LeverLok and it is mainly for the 3rd foot sanario. Ya know when your on a hill and you stop and push the cluch in and the brake now with the break in just filp up the lever and you can use your foot for the throtle now.
    It is not recomended for an overnight break due to line fade. From what I've read an automotive hydrolic systems pressure will fade away in time. Other than that it's a sweet off-road device for holding your rig inplace temporaraly!

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Oh ya the Lever-Lok comes with a low pressure warning switch that you can hook to your horn or get a buzzer/light to let you know when the fade get dangerusly low and about to let go of your rigs breaks.

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Temporarily is all I was going to use it for. I a eventually also going to re-install the factory e-brake, but wanted the hyd. brkae for hairy trail situations.

Thanks

Mike
    82 GMC Jimmy "Emmett" "Built for function, not for beauty!"
    IN TOO DEEP Off-Road Club

5. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    I myself want to get 2 sets. One for the front & one for the rear. Mostly because I want to use the brakes to hold the truck, not the drivetrain.

One thing to think of, if you are trying to use this setup to get past an inspection. It won't work. You have to have 2 seperate systems for the vehicle to pass an inspection. That is were the 2 seperate systems come into play.

I've used the micro locks on fork lifts and they work great. We also used them on wreckers. I"ve never had a problem and don't recall them needing to be rebuilt or replaced. I'm sure the electric seloniod ones may need more maint.

Best of luck,

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Burt4x4,
    How much trouble were the line locks to install?
    I'm thinking of adding one to my front brakes as an extra parking brake for the trail. My rear drum brakes just don't seem to have enough hold on steep hills if they been through alot of water and mud and I'm tired of parking the rear bumper against trees to hold it.

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

The Mico is plumed in series with the brake line.
    basicaly take a brake line off the PPvalve going to the front brakes install a new line into the PPvalve and feed it into the cab and screw into Lock, now take another line and screw into lock return feed thru into engine compartment and connect it to the line going to the front brakes. BLEED, the lock has it's own bleeder screws so get a fishtank air tube and put on bleed screw into a beer can to keep from making a mess in the cab.I use a hand pump to bleed the fliud thru.
    I have not hooked up the low pressure warning switch to horn/buzzer/red light yet.
    hope that was clear